12-50 manual zoom noise?? Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by LowriderS10, Dec 12, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hello everyone,

Yesterday I received my long-anticipated Olympus 12-50, and was immediately disappointed.

When zooming manually, there's a distinctly audible sound. It's quiet...but it's there. At first I thought it was a grinding noise, but, upon listening to it more closely, it actually sounds like it's gears moving against each other. It sounds like I'm moving the gears for the power zoom while manually zooming? I don't know...I've never owned a power zoom before, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. In power zoom mode, it's perfectly silent.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance!

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

normal. I think they intended for the power zoom to be used for video hence why it is silent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks, yeah, I knew about the silent video mode, I've just never had a lens that wasn't perfectly silent when zooming...but...they've all just been normal zooms, not power zooms.

So other 12-50s make a slight noise when zooming manually too, then? I guess there's no clutch/decoupling mechanism when switching from power to manual mode?

4. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    Yes, my old one did. I don't think it's anything to worry about, just a nuisance of you were considering manual zoom in video!

Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

lol I posted asking the exact same thing a while back - apparently it's quite common to power zooms.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    *sigh of relief*

Thanks, gents! :D Glad to hear it's normal...it really doesn't bother me, but since I bought it second-hand (though unused), I was nervous. I guess I'll have to get used to it and remember to switch to power zoom when doing videos. Otherwise, my first impressions (haven't taken a picture with it yet!) is that it's light, feels well-built, the controls fall nicely to hand, I like the MF/EF/Macro clutch mechanism, and the macro mode seems awesome! I think this week I'm going to mount it and go shooting strictly with this lens. :)

Quote from a review (Pekka's blog, I think he runs POTN):

"There is a typical "electric scratching" noise while turning the ring on manual mode."

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Totally normal.

• Like Like x 1
  8. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    yep....:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    When manually zooming it feels like I am driving some gears. It it not totally 'oil' smooth. Not like grit. More like running your fingers on a comb. A regularly spaced resistance. Is this normal? Or is something "engaged" that shouldn't be?

10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Ian, sounds exactly like what I'm feeling...I described it as "I guess there's no clutch/decoupling mechanism when switching from power to manual mode?"

Pretty sure we're driving an inactive motor while we're zooming. The feeling of driving gears are exactly what I'm feeling as well (and what leads to the noise that prompted me to start this thread).

I'm surprised that there's no clutch/decoupling mechanism to take the motor out of the equation when zooming, but it sounds like what you and I are experiencing is normal, so I'm just going to live with it. :)

11. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

That's how mine was.
    Perfectly Normal,
    Dave

• Like Like x 1