12-40mm PRO at 25mm?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by jcm5, Mar 27, 2015.

1. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    Question for you all: would you use the 25PL if you also had the 12-40 in the bag? I'm curious to know how the latter performs at 25mm. I know the typical answer is to think of the difference between 1.4 to 2.8, but I would say I find myself rarely shooting wide-open at 1.4, more like 1.8-2.2 (and I suppose this might be true for many of you out there? or not?).

I'm in the market for 12-40 so I'm wondering whether I should sell the 25PL at some point. Any feedback on your personal experience using both appreciated!
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, I often carry both the 12-40 and primes. I prefer the primes for most occasions.

Post-Script: the 12-40 is heavy and I don't like to have it mounted unless I really need the zoom. It is a different FL, but the O17 is normally mounted on my camera.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Yes I would use it. The 25 is two stops faster, this mean a much shorter shutter speed when you need it.
    Other than that I do not know: I do not like to switch lenses so in practice I would probably not bother. If I were looking for small DoF I'd pick up a longer lens, like the 45 or 60.
    Considering it is not a super-small lens it would probably be left at home quite often, especially by day. But the 12-40 is not a lightweight so I often leave it at home for the P20.
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have both lenses. The only reasons to keep the 25/1.4 is for more control of DOF, low light and having a smaller lens camera combo. If you shoot JPGs with more recent Olympus cameras, more corrections and tweaks are done when Olympus lenses are used and the JPGs look better.
  5. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I have the 12-40 and would like to have the PL25. I would use both, and probably carry both. In my mind the 12-40 is not all that big and it's merits are worth carrying with me most of the time. it is bigger than a prime for m43, but not all that big. I find that the 12-40 is really good at 25, even wide open. I hardly ever stop down past f4 and that's only to get more depth of field. I find that for me indoors 2.8 still results in higher iso than I want. So I would really like the 1.4 of the PL25.
  6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I had a similar dilemma with the Panasonic 12-35 and the 25/1.4. I like the small size of the prime and the lower f-stop. In practice, however, I find it harder and harder to find times to take the 12-35mm off the camera and use the 25.
  7. carbonbianchi

carbonbianchi New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2014
    I had the 12-40, PL25 and oly 17mm 1.8. I once took a tripod mounted series of shots using each at f2.8 (ie the 12-40 at 17mm and 25mm) and couldn't tell the difference between the zoom and the prime at each focal length when I checked them in Lightroom.
  8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I have both and use both. Each have their purpose.
  9. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    Sorry to change the subject on you all, but does anyone own BOTH the 12-40 and 9-18?
    I've shot 12mm for a while and own the 9mm BCL, but I was curious about the 9-18. But I wonder if it was redundant if there's a 12mm f2 or 12-40mm PRO in the bag.

I suppose these questions show I'm trying to cut down on my gear and want to find the sweet spot in terms of focal length availability and cost without having to buy everything up front and then deciding. Thanks in advance for humoring me!
  10. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I use the 12-40 almost exclusively for that range but keep the PL 25/1.4 for low light interiors where flash is not allowed. That extra 2 stops makes a huge difference.