12-40mm not perfect for e-m5?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Viktor, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    Hello.
    Someone at 43rumors stated, that (only) the e-m1 does CA correction when using the 12-40mm. Any thoughts about using it on the e-m5 compared?
    Thank you.

2. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    It's bigger than the 12-35, which might be an issue if you don't use an add-on grip for your EM5. However, it's got the extra 5mm of reach and the manual focus switch. Otherwise, the 2 lenses perform practically identically on Olympus bodies. If the size, reach or focus switch matter to you, base your decision on that. Otherwise, go for whichever one you can get for less money.

They're two really good lenses. You can't go wrong with either.

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The real question I have is how much of the edge to edge performance is due to software correction. Not that this matters on the E-M1 but I am curious.

4. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    It's a real question, sure, but it isn't an important one. Honestly, it's a strange question to ask. Fact is, no digital image is ever untouched by "software". Every step is calculated and optimized, and reprocessed. Even RAW files. Why single out lenses? And even if you single them out, there no proof a soft solution is any worse than than an optical one. The evidence points to the opposite conclusion, we can do things in software that are completely impractical to do in optics hardware. Software processing has allowed humanity, for the first time in history, to photograph planets circling other stars...using telescope optics built decades ago. One can only imagine what new methods will bring to the table.

5. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Based on DxO chart, although not by much, it appears that O12-40 is sharper compare to P12-35 on wide-end... conversely P12-35 edge out O12-40 on the long end.

Quote from DxO "Compared to its rival, the Panasonic G X Vario 12-35mm f2.8, the Olympus has similar overall optical quality. However, where the Panasonic has slightly higher levels of sharpness in the center, certainly at the longer focal lengths, the Olympus has better uniformity across the field at wider apertures, particularly at the shorter focal lengths."

Sharpness.

6. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    to keep with the OP's question. I'm also wondering how the 12-40 will perform on the EM5. Does anybody know if the CA can be corrected in RAW just as accurately by Olympus Viewer? That might work for me... but I guess OOC JPEGs would still have CA.

Does anybody know how the 12-40 and 12-35 compare in regards to CA?

7. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Chromatic_Abb.

Vignetting.

8. daggah

daggah Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    David
    It doesn't matter, people. Just get the lens you want and get out there and use it!

I will say that the 12-40 isn't a perfect fit for the E-M5 ergonomically, not without some kind of add-on grip. It's surprisingly heavier than I thought it would be. My E-M5 with battery grip and this lens is becoming quite hefty. But of course, it makes up for that in convenience and the fact that I now have a lens/body combo I would be comfortable walking around with with no additional gear.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Do you have a link to the DXOmark review of the 12-40? Nothing comes up for me while searching. Thanks

10. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Found it!!! Thanks

11. Viktor

Viktor Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2012
    Denmark
    So its not a valid question if the software correction on e-M1 makes an important difference or not?
    Hmmm. Thought I was at 43rumors for a second there, if you know what I mean.

12. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    As I pointed out with the E-M1 the question doesn't matter, but with other m43 cameras it certainly does. I don't see Oly issuing firmware updates for the older cameras.

I didn't notice before that the SLR gear test was done with the Panasonic GX1. This as least partially answers the question.

13. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    In terms of ergonomics, yes, I think the 12-40mm fits better with the E-M1 than the E-M5 without the add-on horizontal grip because of its heft. If you're like me, always keeping the add-on grip on the E-M5, then it wouldn't make any difference...

In terms of image quality, I'm too lazy to repeat myself, but you can read my comments in this other thread:
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55537

In short, I do think the E-M1 performs lens correction on the 12-40mm, even in RAW, but if you have been using the Panasonic 12-35mm on the E-M5, it's not going to make any difference if you switch to the 12-40mm, because the E-M5 doesn't correct for the Panasonic lens anyway...

14. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The 12-40/2.8 does not have all that much CA to begin with, so the in camera CA removal of the E-M1 isn't much of a factor. Here's another review of the lens. If you're not having issues with CA with what ever lenses you're using now, you won't have it with this lens. FWIW, CA removal in Viewer 3 is a manual adjustment, not a 1 button click fix, and can only be done on RAW files.

The E-M5 has a different image processing chip than the E-M1 so pixie dust software, e.g., firmware for removing CA in any of the older cameras will never happen.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    I am seeing very minimal CA with the 12-40 on a e-m5. The lens is optically very good. It will show flare in some circumstances, but ca is minimal.

Also, I use it without a grip and you do notice the increased weight compared to other m43 lenses, but it feels perfectly fine. If you are holding the combo with both hands, which you have to if you are using the lens fn button, it feels very nicely balanced.

16. daggah

daggah Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    David
    It's so easy to fix CA that it's a completely non-issue.

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I wouldn't worry about it. CA is not particularly high to begin with (nothing like the kit 12-50) and if you find it really objectionable, it's literally a one-click fix in Lightroom or similar programs.

I think the size issue is way overblown in any case. It's the same length as the 12-50 kit lens. True, it's thicker, and somewhat heavier, but if the ergonomics of the kit lens work (I certainly haven't heard any complaints), the 12-40 won't make things any harder.

18. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    That's only CA corrections. All M43 cameras correct for distortions on native electronic M43 lenses regardless of brand. It's part of the M43 spec.

19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Although I've only been shooting a few days with this lens on my E-M5 I've yet to find any CA on any of my captures. It fits perfectly on this camera with the horizontal (Landscape) grip IMHO. I am so glad I traded in my 9-18 Olympus and P/L 25 f1.4 lenses to get this beauty for my birthday. Soon I plan on getting the Rokinon 7.5 FE to go with this lens and my Oly 40-150 and Oly 60 macro, all winners IMHO.