12-40mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by uscrx, Sep 7, 2013.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    4 days away from the announcement and no discussion on the first page ???

So...how many of you 12-35mm owners looking to convert?

How many of you who were looking to purchase 12-35mm change your mind and buying 12-40mm?

How many of you in a holding pattern (wait and see?)

I'm waiting...and will see.

2. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    I am missing a zoom in my "kit" so I am waiting to see initial user results. I have never been one of the first to buy and try.
  3. Jeroen81

Jeroen81 Mu-43 Rookie

May 18, 2013
    The Netherlands
    I'm waiting and see.

But if the lens is good and the price is not to hight I am thinking of selling my 12 f/2.0 for this one. Love the 12mm, but I think I'm more of a zoom guy.
  4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I was thinking of getting the 12mm and later the 45mm but now I'm in a holding pattern. :drinks:
  5. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    The added range wouldn't hurt, however I'm not dissatisfied with the 12-35, and have the 35-100 to take off where the 12-35 stops.

I'm a fan of keeping my systems operating similarly, so as much as some Olympus zooms might be attractive I don't care to have zoom lenses that rotate the opposite direction (unless I was going to have 'all olympus').

However, I'm glad Olympus is getting into the fast zoom game, seems good for m4/3.
  6. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Not me. While my #1 wish for the 12-35X is that it was longer, 5mm really isn't that much of a difference. Combine with the fact that Olympus lenses turn the wrong way and the fact that I'd be giving up in-lens IS (limiting my choice of camera bodies when I next go shopping for one) and it's a bad deal.

Now, if someone comes out with a 12-50 f/2.8 or longer, I'd be interested in trading up. Again, in-lens IS would make that decision easier.
  7. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Right :thumbup:
  8. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    When I was shooting with the 24-70 f/2.8 on full-frame Canon I often wanted a bit more reach, however I don't find myself thinking the same as often with the 12-35. I think there are two primary reasons for this 1) I find the 12-35 more versatile because it focuses closer 2) carrying the 35-100 is never an issue or concern, where I often didn't want to haul the 70-200 f/2.8.
  9. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I still think zoom lenses are too big. If they can somehow make a fast pancake zoom like the Pana 14-42 X. That would be awesome. Until then I'll stick to my somewhat small primes.
  10. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    I was REALLY close to buying the PL 12-35 but I'm glad I waited. I'm sure it has better optics than PL and focuses faster on my E-M5 (and it's replacement next year). The extra 5mm is also a nice bonus. Going to order it asap.
  11. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    The 12-35mm is a fine lens. The only drawback is the size and weight (for my use). Image quality has been good. If the Olympus is even larger and heavier, I will stick with the Panasonic (unless there is some major Image quality improvement which I am doubtful of).

I am in a wait and see mode. I want to see what the size and weight are compared to the Panasonic and then the image quality. The extra 5mm would be nice but not worth trading lenses for me.

Hopefully some lenses and reviews will start popping up this fall.
  12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I am completely satisfied with my 12-35 and don't think the cost of buying and selling (for a loss I'm sure) is worth the extra 5 (10) mm of reach. I am in fact more interested in getting the 14-140mm II.
  13. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I will wait and see, but I think it will be unlikely I will sell my p12-35mm. I was hoping the 12-40 would be smaller, but that doesn't seem like it will be case. I will also need to change filter sizes... at the moment 58mm fits both my p12-35 and oly 40-150. I also like the idea of having IS, in case I ever pick up a panasonic body in future.

I might change my mind if the 12-40 is ALOT better in image quality. Also I'm not in a rush atm, I'm going to try get a little more use out of my primes.
  14. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    *sigh* I'll be keeping my 12-35, couldn't hold out forever for that Oly zoom. If anything it sounds like the price point will be better on the oly than the panasonic. I would have liked to play with a zoom that has distance scale on it too.
  15. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    It's not a PL. Although if it was a collaboration with Leica, it's my opinion it would be much better than an Oly zoom. My PL 4/3 zoom is sharper than any of my PL primes, which is sad because I'm spoiled by the fast autofocus our native lenses have. Maybe it's just that Leica "pop" I've heard so much about. If it was faster at 50mm, or even just had faster focus (hurry up em1) I'd sell my Oly 45. Wait no I wouldn't ! I'm too much of a pack rat
  16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    What primes do you use to cover that range, and how do they compare, in total, to the size and weight of the 12-40. I'd guess the 12mm, 20 or 25, and 45 combined are larger and heavier than the 12-40. And while you do get more speed, you also have to swap lenses much more frequently.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    In my opinion it makes no sense for anyone with a current 12-35 to upgrade to the 12-40. The extra 5mm is worthless. If the IQ is much better at least you can make a case.
  18. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    That depend if you are using Oly or Pana body, and how much flare you want for your lens
  19. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I have he 7/14, 17 1.8, and 45 1.8. While a pain to swap, I like the the fact that it is compact. Having a zoom on my E-P5 is like having the 7-14 on it at all times which I hate. Only use that lens when I know I need it.
  20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    If the 12-40/2.8 is truly a superlative lens (think 14-35/2.0 quality), I might be tempted. But my expectations are something on par with the Panasonic 12-35/2.8, which is to say optically inferior to my 12-60/2.8-4.0. I've no interest in spending good money for a less versatile lens (range, close-focus) that delivers lower image quality.

So I'm waiting, but skeptical.