1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-40f2.8 vs Voigtlander 40f1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by silver92b, Nov 27, 2014.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I wondered how these 2 lenses would compare so I decided to present a comparison. Please feel free to opine.

The images were taken from the same distance with a tripod on a EM-1 body. I set the Voigtlander to f2.8 so the conditions would be similar. For some reason the 40mm focal length is not the same for both lenses ?!?.. The Voigtlander seems to have a bit longer reach. Also, the Voigtlander renders colors quite differently. Both shots at ISO 3200 under artificial light with AWB. Both cropped to about 1/9th of original size.

Voigtlander 40f1.4 set at f2.8
    QkKTW7B.

Zuiko 12-40 f2.8 at 40mm focal length
    tYJCdGR.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Focal lengths of just about all lenses are not as specified. The colour differences are due to many factors, the type of optical design as well as coatings used. I always found my Voigtlander lenses to produce different colours compared to my other lenses. And each of my Voigtlander lenses produced different colours to each other.

3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I prefer the warm colors of the Voigtlander. I wonder if the native lens has something to do with the camera auto-adjusting white balance?

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I think what also happens is that the Voigtlander lenses, certainly the ones that I had, react differently under different lighting conditions, which I think was a result of the coatings. Mind you, the Voigtlander lenses that I had were all M mount lenses and pre-dated the m4/3 lenses, though most were the later design.

5. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    That's interesting. I never had compared the specified focal lengths of various lenses. Fr some reason the difference caught my attention this time. All my Voightlander lenses are either Leica bayonet mount or Leica M39 thread mount. They do render images differently from other lenses and from each other as well.

The Zuiko actually rendered the colors a bit more realistic than the CV lens, but the warm colors are pleasing to the eye. It would seem that the camera adjustment of WB should make the results equal for each lens if the measurements are interpreted as viewed through the lens.... They must have some sort of programming wizardry that takes into account the lens. In the case of the CV, the camera has no idea of what lens is mounted..

6. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Can you do a retest with same custom white balance so we can see how the color renders without variation, thanks

7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, I think I will do the test again. This time I'll set the WB with an Expodisk for each lens. Also, I'll set the ISO to no higher than 400 to get some noise free images.

Interesting idea. I had the GX7 but never noticed that. Of course, I never looked for it either.... I'm going to set up the test again and see what happens.

8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, different subject, all pictures taken at ISO 250. WB set for incandescent light (all indoor, artificial lights) @ f4.0
    All images cropped to the same size as much as possible, about 50% of the original size. I'll upload them not resized in IMGUR

Zuiko 12-40mmf2.8
    lvUX7JP.

Voigtlander 40mmf1.4
    z2HXt5d.

Olympus 40-150mm f4-5.6
    0NeNFxk.

PL 35-100f2.8
    [​IMG]

9. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    It almost looks like a greenish tint to the voigtlander shot. I prefer the 12-40 and 40-150 shots out of the last batch myself.

I've used a few of the m43 native voigtlanders and for portrait work, I've found they lens themselves to really beautiful skin tones and colours.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The question is, which one represents the colour closest to what you see?

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Or what you prefer to show if that is your kind of thing.

Also, to my eyes, it looks like the DOF on the 12-40 in the second batch seems greater than the other lenses.

--Ken

12. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, I think you are right. There seems to be a greenish tint in the shots with the Voigtlander. And yes, at least some of the M mount CV lenses do render portraits very nicely.

In truth, with the particular WB setting I used, none of them look to my eyes quite like the real image. They are all a bit too warm or something... I have not corrected them in LR to see how they turn out...

I don't think my art is so advanced that I can actually choose the lens for a particular effect.. In this case I was just idly wondering how the CV40f1.4 would compare to the 12-40f2.8 when shot under the same conditions. In the first 2 shots, the 12-40 was more realistic in the color rendering than the 40f1.4... Of course, both were shot with AWB
    setting... to me the 12-40 appears to render a slightly sharper image with better IQ.
    And BTW, I too noticed the clearly larger DOF of the 12-40. Perhaps it's because the 12-40 is shot at its longest FL while the others are shot at or near their shortest FL (except the CV which is a prime).

Basically, I just decided to shoot a comparo at 40mm FL of the various lenses I have that offer that FL and post them to elicit comments. Thanks for participating :thumbup: