1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-40 question: filter choice thus enabling lens CAP to fit

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ricoh, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I'm looking to fit a filter to my 12-40/f2.8, but before placing an order I'd like confirmation please, does the lens cap as supplied with the 12-40 still fit with a B+W XS-Pro Nano mounted to the lens? If not, or unknown, has anyone got any other recommendations filter wise.

Is UV or clear best if all I'm looking for is protection?

Thanks for your help.
    Steve.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

The Oly 12-40mm Pro's hood and filters don't interfere with each other, as long as you're not using step-up rings.

Clear is marginally better than UV, if the price is similar.

Barry

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks Barry. When you say don't interfere with each other do you mean if I get a 62mm filter, eg the B+W XS-Pro, I can fit the lens cap to the filter, is that correct?
    Steve

4. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Now I'm confused... You said HOOD originally, but now you say CAP.

a. The standard Hood has a bayonet mount which works with or without filters mounted.

b. the pinch cap fits on all my (non-slim) filters. The slim filter you mention still has threads for stacking another filter, so there's a good chance the cap will still fit.

Barry

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    My mistake, I did mean lens cap, sorry.
    It does sound promising. The reason for the slim, I thought it would be better at 12mm.

Edit to thread title implemented

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    With wide lenses, like this one, be careful with ultra-slim filters: they can touch the front element of the lens because that is not flat.

If in doubt place a small piece of paper over the middle of the front element before screwing the filter to see if the filter comes into contact.

EDIT: Hoya HD Protector works fine

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I haven't seen or heard of any vignetting @12mm on the 12-40, unless one is stacking multiple filters, or using step-down rings.

It would be a poor design to put filter threads on a lens but not make them wide enough.

Barry

8. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    I use the B+W XS-PRO on the 12-40/2.8 It's awesome. I'm however using ND filters, not the UV or the CP. The lens cap can still fit with the filter on the lens. The 12-40/2.8 front element does protrude a little but it doesn't interact or touch XS-Pro filters at all. I'm normally less inclined to put UV filters on a lens for protection just because I prefer naked lenses with no hoods or protection filters. You can also stack 2 XS-Pro ND filters on without vignetting since they are decently thin.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have a similar, although different, filter on my 12-40: Hoya EVO Antistatic UV(0) without any problem; the lens cap fits fine. I have used other filters without issue as well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I use a B&W F-Pro UV and it works fine. No contact with front element nor problems with lens cap or hood. However, I prefer a third party center pinch cap because it's more secure and easier to clip on than the OEM Olympus cap for the 12-40, IMHO. I bought a Fotodiox and it works fine.

11. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks for the replies - I'll go for the XS-Pro Nano MRC, in clear probably. I already have a couple of these on other lenses. To keep them clean all I have to do is give a quick blast with the rocket, amazing technology.

12. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    I too use the B&W and it's a great filter. Have you considered the actual Olympus filter? I bought that for my 40-150 f2.8 and its really great .... Similar price to B& W too

13. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I came across a discussion on DPReview about the XS Pro on the 12-40. It appears that with some copies of the lens there is contact between the filter glass and the front element, others don't report any issue. It's probably within the build tolerance, some on the '-' side, some on the '+' side, for both filter and lens dimensions. That's a pitty, I like the MRC with Nano coating since it's really easy to clean - in fact the one on my P15//f1.7 hasn't been cleaned once since fitting it 3 or 4 months ago and it's still clean. Staying with the B+W filters for a moment, holoholo55 said (see above) good things about the F-Pro, but I note it's not nano coated. On the plus side, though, it's a deeper filter (5mm compared to 3mm of the XS-Pro). One potential solution is to get an XS-Pro MRC nano and an unglazed 62mm ring, if you can you get one of these without having to break a cheap Chinese filter just for the ring.
    I've not yet looked at the Olympus range but it's worth a look.

14. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

As others have said, most protection-style filters work fine on the 12-40 and still allow the cap to seat. Mine accepts both the cap and filters just fine. I do have one CPL thin mount that won't work with the cap but I just replaced that filter. I did replace the cap with an after market one because the "interior-pinch-only" design of the supplied cap drove me crazy. The replacement has squeeze grips on the inside and outside of the cap, which works MUCH better. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L6J6MU6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

15. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks Jfrader. Having read further, some users report the XS-Pro (which is the lowest profile in the B+W range) touching the front element of the lens (evidenced by the paper test). Don't want that, or to purchase and then have to get a refund or exchange. The F-Pro might be better at 5mm, offering greater clearance between the filter glass and the front element.

16. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I have used two different B+W XS-Pro slim filters on the 12-40. Neither one touched the front element, or interfered with the hood or lens cap.

17. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    After accidentally destroying my 12-40mm 's lens cap, I found another from Olympus that has both center and side pinch grips... I can't remember the part number, but B&H sell it at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/486382-REG/Olympus_260031_Replacement_62mm_Lens_Cap.html

Barry