12-40 PRO Focus Problems

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by runner girl, Jan 23, 2015.

1. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    I finally got the Olympus 12-40 PRO and I've been very disappointed in the focus, particularly at the wide end and tripod mounted. To be honest, the kit 12-50 has performed better. How would I know if I got a defective lens?

2. Carrera_C

Carrera_C Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2011
    Scotland
    Sounds defective to me, it should out perform the 12-50 throughout the zoom range. I assume your referring to sharpness? Or do you mean focus speed?

Easiest way to tell would be to take it back to the shop, explain the situation and ask for a swap. Try the new one out in the shop.

3. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    Yes, I mean sharpness. I guess I'll have to call Adorama.

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Before doing that, make sure that the IBIS is off when on a tripod. IS systems get confused when they are trying to combat camera movement and there is none.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Are you sure the AF is on? The front ring switches the focus between AF and manual by pushing or pulling the ring away or towards the body.

6. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    It is not an AF issue as it happens with both AF and MF. I calked Adorama and they emailed an RMA, no hassle. I've ordered another.

7. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

On another note, I also think the 12-50 AFs somewhat faster than the 12-40 (in good light), but that's purely due to physics as it has to move less glass.

8. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    So I used my replacement lens daily for almost a month and then the AF stopped working. This one is also on its way back to Adorama. I'm beginning to wonder about the build quality of this lens. Anyone else with similar issues?

9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I can't help with your issues. But my used 12-40 has been rock solid. It's the m43 lens that all others should be compared to.

10. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    My used 12-40 has had frequent use for the past 6 or 7 months under all kinds of lighting conditions and I've had zero problems with it on my E-M10. I expect it would operate even quicker on an E-M1.

11. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    FWIW, I've had my 12-40 which is my most-used lens, for 15 months and never had a single issue with it.

12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    the 12-40 should be very sharp at the wide end.

13. DevilzGtr

DevilzGtr Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Previously, the AF on my 12-40mm seemed to focus in front of what I aim/shoot it at.
    This only happened when using the shutter button.
    Using the touchscreen to focus and shoot worked fine.
    The problem hasn't occurred since I upgraded the the firmware of my E-M1 and 12-40mm lens.

14. undergrd

undergrd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Singapore
    My copy seems to focus accurate and its sharp at the wide end. My only problem is that when i auto-focus, the view in my evf seems to shake/jump abit...

15. DMullis

DMullis New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2015
    Georgia USA
    I have experienced the "shake/jump" too. I think perhaps it is just the way this lens/camera interface works, though.

• Like Like x 1