12-40 Lens Issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nukl, Jan 22, 2014.

1. nukl

nukl New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2011
    I've bought the 12-40 some weeks ago, second hand. I like the lens neverthe less I have some observations I want to share and a question:

To start with:I'm using the lens on an E-P5, and in general am very content with it.If focusses fast, and especially during video it is much faster focussing than my 14-150.

1) In some situations it totally fails to focus and you have to try several times and it helplessly searches for the focus. Nota bene: Though not perfect conditions, still in conditions I use ISO200... This is not why I've spent 900 EUR. Do you have similar observations?

2) Second strange thing: When using the camera updater it does not show the type of the lens. It just shows 1.0. Does your updater sho the type of lens?

My fear is that I didn't by a real version but a pre-version of the lens....

3) An other observation that might be of interest: The focus assist light of the E-P5 does not work with the lens, since the lense is to big... :(

If you could help me with 1) or 2) this would be very appeciated....
  2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    My 12-40 shows up the same way with camera updater. Try using the standard size AF area points rather than the small ones.
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Nope, haven't had any issues with the lens on my E-M1. Focuses very well indeed.
  4. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    I have it hunting sometimes in low light,,, use center point,,, not the smallest one
  5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I'm old-fashioned and use the smallest centre focus area, then recompose. CDAF works best with high-contrast areas, and better with horizontal lines than vertical ones. Large, flat areas can be a problem.
  6. nukl

nukl New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2011
    Thanks for all your answers. I've had some discussions with Olympus "support" - they are of the opinion it must be me why the lens does not focus correctly. Especially at home when taking pictures of of my child I will switch back to Pana20 and Oly45 - never the less exactly these where the circumstances I've bought the 12-40 for. The funny thing is - there are certain children the lense simply refuces to focus. I guess the trouble I'm facing is just because of the E-P5 not having the AF of the E-M1... Hope there will be an update of the firmware for the E-P5.
    Never the less the ignorance of the Olympus support makes me angry...
  7. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Could you post some examples. If I understand correctly you are shooting children indoors using iso 200? If you have some situations where you have are having trouble focusing try using the mf clutch. One other thing to consider is that make sure the mf clutch is not engaged. If it is you will be unable to use af.
  8. nukl

nukl New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2011
    Actually I'm using my camera in two situations:
    1) http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuno_skach
    These pictures were taken with my E-P5 and the 12-40 mostly at ISO200 and very often the camera failed to focus - despite of lots of contrast.What I've learned is that also much contrast can be a problem for the AF. Futher more I didn't take these pictures wide open but at about f3,5-f4.

2) I take pictures of my child and other children. These are circumstances I use ISO1600 - never the less I've not the least problem with PNA20, Oly 45 or OLY14-150. What I've oberved is that when I've forgot to remove my Pol-filter from the 12-40 and I took pictures at home I wasn't able to focus correctly at all. When I do the same with my 14-150 of course I loose a lot of light, but it is not an issue for the AF... (Mind one is a Hoya filer, the other a Hama...)

In general I have to say that I use aperture-mode and have observed that when i sitched to i-auto for my wife the AF worked much better - maybe since the camera feels free to snap to any focus...
    Thanks for your help,