1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-40 Feel/sound at 35mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Mooring, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Mooring

Mooring Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2013
    Lee Mooring
    I have a 12-40 that I just received with my new E-M1. I noticed tonight that it makes a very slight click sound/feel when zooming right at the 35mm mark. Everything seems to work normally and I was wondering if any other E-M1 owners felt/ heard the same thing?

2. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

Hi,
    I have a new (got it yesterday) 12-40 and it doesn't click at 35mm. The zoom ring makes a barely discernible friction rubbing sound through out its range.
    Dave

3. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

I think your lens noise may be perfectly normal. It might have to do with parafocal focusing. Check out this threat in the micro four thirds forum on dpreview called "Lets talk about Lens noise". by Timor B. ( can't remember his last name.)
    Best,
    Dave

4. Mooring

Mooring Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2013
    Lee Mooring
    Did a little more investigating. I noticed that the noise which could be both heard and felt when zooming the lens only did so when the lens was attached to the camera. When it was detached zooming in and out was smooth. Since I'm not aware that there is any mechanical connection between the camera and lens that moves when zooming I was at a loss. I decided to see what would happen if I turned the zoom ring back and forth past the 35mm mark rapidly a number of times. Much to my surprise and delight the noise/feel disappeared and the lens now zooms silently. Not sure what happened but I feel better.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My guess is that you're hearing very mild 'rattlesnaking', ie the aperture blades clicking slightly as you shift through the focal range. You can hear this if you listen closely and wave the lens at different light sources.