12-40 f2.8 Zoom Smoothness?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gr8Shot, Nov 28, 2013.

1. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  2. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I COMPLETELY agree...and you actually make me feel a lot better cause I was wondering if I had defective unit also...I even Googled for anyone else having this issue the day I got it...

I still would like confirmation from at least someone else..
  3. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    I agree, I put it down to the lens being brand new and would expect the zoom ring to free up a bit with use.

On the focussing ring tho.... does your ring go beyond infinity in MF? Mine does and I thought one of the advantages with a clutch MF was that you could know infinity when the ring stopped??
    Or do I have a bad copy???
  4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    You can definitely feel the gears moving inside the lens when you turn the zoom ring. Felt kind of odd at the beginning, but now I actually likes it. It feels like it is giving me the right amount of resistance...
  5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    It does go beyond infinity, which is unfortunate for night shots of the sky.
    On the plus side it also goes closer than the autofocus on the near end.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I'd call the zoom smooth and I like the feel. When zooming from 12mm to 40mm there is a little more resistance at around 21mm and again at about 27-30mm. Functions very well.
  7. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Why would metal be any better? Never had any issue with my Canon 24-105, and insofar as I can recall my 12-35 was plastic barreled (the zoom bit) as well. It's called appropriate use if materials. Plastic ain't bad.