12-40 F2.8 lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by missallpc, Jun 19, 2017.

1. missallpc

missallpc New to Mu-43

Jun 19, 2017
    I recently purchased a 12-40 f2.8 Zuiko lens. It has been working fine but now when I put it on the camera (E-M1) it will only work in manual focus mode. The camera is stuck in the MF mode and will not allow me to change it. All other lenses work fine. Has anyone seen this problem or did my lens just go belly up. Thanks ...Paul

2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I suspect that the MF clutch ring has shifted into MF position. Happens all the time and probably everyone who has purchased this lens has had this happen accidentally at one time or another. It often happens to me when taking the camera with lens out of a bag. There are many, many threads like this all over photography forums. All you have to do is to slide the clutch back to AF position.

Hopefully that is your issue.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yep, push the focusing ring forward to take it out of manual focus mode and your problem will be solved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. missallpc

missallpc New to Mu-43

Jun 19, 2017

Thanks, that was it.....Duuhh. Next time I'll read the literature.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

you aren't the first and you won't be the last...

and, we're laughing with you, not at you!:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. missallpc

missallpc New to Mu-43

Jun 19, 2017

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If I had a £/$/¥/€ etc for every time someone has done that (me included), then I'd be a rich man!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 2112

2112 Mu-43 All-Pro

This still happens to me when removing the lens from my bag and my figure's push the ring down without me noticing. Most of the time I find out when trying to take that first shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

yup... back button focus really goes all to pot when you do that too! :oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    It's happened to me a few times. It's most annoying when you don't notice till later...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I discovered my E-M1 had quit focusing with my 7-14 and checked the focusing ring - nope, OK there. Hmmm. Then I looked my camera over and discovered the 1>2 lever had somehow been moved down so the back button focus was enabled. I flipped the lever up and was back in regular business.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Haha yeah too much customisation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Santa

Santa Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Tennessee
    Tom Staggs
    Of course This always happens when you're in hurry to take a picture before you miss the moment. you miss the picture because the lens has been changed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    The only thing worse is when I used to have the AF+MF enabled. This happened a lot with the Oly 45/1.8. I'd hold the camera and lens from below. Without realizing it, I would nudge the MF ring ever so slightly. I thought for sure the lens was defective...until I realized it was operator error.

15. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Don't feel bad. I actually returned this lens as "defective" before I realized what I'd done - then had to order it again. It doesn't stop me from occasionally ending up with unsharp shots when I learn the lesson yet again.

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Tony Wong

Tony Wong New to Mu-43

Dec 6, 2015
    Tony Wong
    Highly annoying when it gets switched to MF accidentally (usually putting it into a bag, I think). Olympus should develop a locking switch to prevent accidental MF activation.

17. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    Add me to the list of people who did that ... once.
    Took me a little while to figure out why it was stuck in manual mode.
    But its actually a cool feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JamesD

JamesD Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2015
    Elk Grove, CA
    Jim Landers
    It can be annoying but I wouldn't give it up for sure. I recently purchased a 40-150 pro and discovered the benefits of the AF/MF ring. You know those times when you are trying to focus on something small with a busy background? The camera insists on focusing on the twigs behind the bird/bug,flower and no amount of refocusing will convince it otherwise. A quick pull on the AF/MF ring to put the lens in to MF mode, a twist of the focus ring to get approximate focus and then back into AF mode and you're good to go. Never even have to change your hand position. It's worth the occasional buga boo.

• Agree Agree x 2