12-40 aperture blades supposed to close when turning off camera?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fadingphoenix, Dec 28, 2013.

1. fadingphoenix

fadingphoenix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    This is just an oddity I observed a while back when trying to look through my dismounted 12-40. Unlike other lenses I've owned which keep the aperture blades wide open the 12-40 seems to close them when the camera is turned off. I haven't seen anyone else comment on it, so maybe it's a more common occurrence among lenses than I realize. It's something I've been curious about though. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a reason for it? Is my lens behaving oddly?

2. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    NYC
    mine is closed. I notice a few lens of mine with f2.8 have closed aperture blades so maybe it is common among lenses with f2.8 aperture.

3. fadingphoenix

fadingphoenix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    Interesting. I'm a recent convert from the old 4/3rds and I've never seen that behavior before.

4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Makes it less likely that you would burn a hole into your sensor should the camera be laying around pointing at the sun.
    Old Leica rangefinders with cloth focal plane shutters had a similar problem...
    Rudy

• Like Like x 1
  5. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    my 12-40 has a very tiny opening I assume it would be f22 but its not completely closed. I still see light through it. Where my 60mm 2/2.8 Macro is wide open.

6. dolbydunn

dolbydunn Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Ohio
    As a former camera repairman I have seen the Leica C with the cloth shutter having small 1/16" holes burned thru the shutter curtains by the focused rays of the sun. I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it. Cool.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Both Sony FE primes do this to. Very obviously visible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.