12-40 2,8 or 12-60 2,8-4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PantelisMor, Nov 11, 2014.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello.

I had panasonic 14-45, i sold it because i want something better for all around lens. Which is the best choice from these two lenses ;;

Thx a lot....

2. cgomez

cgomez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2013
    12-40 is my walk around lens. I don't have any experience with the 12-60 but I can tell you that I'll never part with my 12-40.

3. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I'm assuming this is for an E-M1? I had a 12-60 on an E620 and then had the mmf-3 for my E-M5. Optically the 12-60 is a stellar lens though there is some complex distortion at 12-13mm; only really noticeable if shooting something with strong horizontal lines. AF performance on the E-M5 was pretty awful but should be quite good on the E-M1. I sold it and bought the 12-40. I don't think my eyes can tell them apart in terms of sharpness and overall image quality. Both are really excellent lenses. I do miss the 40-60 range. Sometimes I think I should've kept the 12-60 and just bought an E-M1 body to use with it rather than swapping lenses. No direct experience on the E-M1 but the 12-40 focuses very fast on the E-M5 and I'm GUESSING it focuses a bit faster than the 12-60 on an E-M1.

4. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    I had both for 3-4 weeks (not at the same time), so my experience is somewhat limited to impressions...

Technically they're both excellent, you can't go very wrong with either. (Personally I decided on keeping the 12-60mm, but everyone's mileage will vary :) )

-Sharpness/Microcontrast: I think the 12-40 with it's newer coatings has more "bite". If you shoot a lot in softer light this is excellent. In harsh light or when shooting against the sun I prefer the slightly less contrasty 12-60mm. It's a matter of personal preference.

-Size: the 12-60 with adapter is MUCH bigger/heavier. But since it's extended range allows me to use it as an "only lens" on hikes, I accepted the weight penalty. :)

-Look/feel: the 12-60 has an "old-fashioned" rubber grip around the lens barrel... the 12-40 some shiny black metal (or some compound?) I like utilitarian gadgets so the 12-60 wins for me.

A lot of people love the focus clutch on the 12-40 (allowing them to switch to manual focus easily). I've assigned manual focus to one of the fn buttons, so I can use it with any lens... no need for the focus clutch in my case.

Biggest "downside" of the 12-60 for me is that it doesn't hold focus when you zoom. I think the 12-40 tries to keep the focus plane consistent when zooming. No dealbreaker for me though.
    On the plus side, the 12-60 isn't "focus by wire", which is nice.

Not sure if these ramblings were any help to you :)
    Maybe browse through each lens' flickr pool and see if you prefer the "look" of one or the other. The differences aren't huge though :)

5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Sold my 12-60 to help fund the 12-40 on my em1. I miss the extra reach every now and then...but if I do, I put on the 75mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.