12-40 2,8 or 12-60 2,8-4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PantelisMor, Nov 11, 2014.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013

I had panasonic 14-45, i sold it because i want something better for all around lens. Which is the best choice from these two lenses ;;

Thx a lot....
  2. cgomez

cgomez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2013
    12-40 is my walk around lens. I don't have any experience with the 12-60 but I can tell you that I'll never part with my 12-40.
  3. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I'm assuming this is for an E-M1? I had a 12-60 on an E620 and then had the mmf-3 for my E-M5. Optically the 12-60 is a stellar lens though there is some complex distortion at 12-13mm; only really noticeable if shooting something with strong horizontal lines. AF performance on the E-M5 was pretty awful but should be quite good on the E-M1. I sold it and bought the 12-40. I don't think my eyes can tell them apart in terms of sharpness and overall image quality. Both are really excellent lenses. I do miss the 40-60 range. Sometimes I think I should've kept the 12-60 and just bought an E-M1 body to use with it rather than swapping lenses. No direct experience on the E-M1 but the 12-40 focuses very fast on the E-M5 and I'm GUESSING it focuses a bit faster than the 12-60 on an E-M1.
  4. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    I had both for 3-4 weeks (not at the same time), so my experience is somewhat limited to impressions...

Technically they're both excellent, you can't go very wrong with either. (Personally I decided on keeping the 12-60mm, but everyone's mileage will vary :) )

-Sharpness/Microcontrast: I think the 12-40 with it's newer coatings has more "bite". If you shoot a lot in softer light this is excellent. In harsh light or when shooting against the sun I prefer the slightly less contrasty 12-60mm. It's a matter of personal preference.

-Size: the 12-60 with adapter is MUCH bigger/heavier. But since it's extended range allows me to use it as an "only lens" on hikes, I accepted the weight penalty. :)

-Look/feel: the 12-60 has an "old-fashioned" rubber grip around the lens barrel... the 12-40 some shiny black metal (or some compound?) I like utilitarian gadgets so the 12-60 wins for me.

A lot of people love the focus clutch on the 12-40 (allowing them to switch to manual focus easily). I've assigned manual focus to one of the fn buttons, so I can use it with any lens... no need for the focus clutch in my case.

Biggest "downside" of the 12-60 for me is that it doesn't hold focus when you zoom. I think the 12-40 tries to keep the focus plane consistent when zooming. No dealbreaker for me though.
    On the plus side, the 12-60 isn't "focus by wire", which is nice.

Not sure if these ramblings were any help to you :)
    Maybe browse through each lens' flickr pool and see if you prefer the "look" of one or the other. The differences aren't huge though :)
  5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Sold my 12-60 to help fund the 12-40 on my em1. I miss the extra reach every now and then...but if I do, I put on the 75mm.