12-35mm X Lens - Flare issue? Open Box flaw?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by thebmillz, Aug 31, 2012.

1. thebmillz

thebmillz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    Hi all,
    So Amazon has a warehouse deal on the 12-35mm lens. Ie. The lens was returned to them and they're selling them in either "like new" or "very good" condition.

I bought the like new because Amazon's return policy is so easy, that there was little risk and i was eager to try out the lens.

Anyways, I feel like this lens has some flare issues and I'm wondering if this is a problem with the lens I got, or with the lens in general. Ie. If I should return it or not and buy it new. The lens is so expensive and this is an open box item, so maybe I'm just being overly sensitive. But, I do remember a pre-release being reviewed and talking about flares that would be fixed in the final version.

I've posted a picture, it doesn't seem as prominent in this jpg, but in camera it was very much prominent. It's sort of a triangular-ish flare.
    Larger version here..
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I did notice the other day when working outdoors that my 12-35 was sensitive to sun flare, even with the hood (though it is also a pretty small petal hood). I suspect this is largely a factor of wide angle lenses, since my 7-14 and Oly 12 are more sensitive to flare than other lenses.
  3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Is it on top of the lamp? If that's what you mean, then I'd say not to worry about it. Any lens is bound to flare if direct rays from the light source hit the glass. I don't have the 12-35, but I can say that the 7-14 would flare a whole lot more in these circumstances.
  4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    @thebmillz: btw, how much did you get it for? I saw a bunch of $1100+ amazon warehouse deals, but somehow the amazon search result showed 'Used item offer starting from $600' (!) though that item didn't show up clickable anywhere.
  5. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    I've had several 7-14 images ruined by ugly purple ghosting which occurs at wide apertures when a light source is in frame and the center of the frame is dark. Due to the close positioning of the lens rear element, light reflected from off sensor can be reflected back by the rear element with a purple hue.

Its an issue with the lens design and the short flange distance of mirrorless camera designs, not a flaw in my particular lens. By all accounts, the 7-14 (and the 12-35) are pretty amazing in most other respects, and much less prone to ghosting and flares than prior generations of uncoated or single coated wide angle lenses.
  6. thebmillz

thebmillz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 31, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I felt slightly silly posting about this, but it is a lot of money and I wanted to make sure! The triangle glare I speak of happens directly "screen left" of the lamp, in the center.

As for the Amazon link. It's in the "used" section under the 600 one you speak of. Here's a link to it. The like new one isn't a huge deal mind you.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    It's hard to see on the posted image so I would not worry about it.

I have been shooting with this lens every day for the last two weeks in very sunny conditions and noticed it is very resistant to flare, especially compared to the SHG ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14mm F4.0 lens which I also have and wich still sells at 1.5 times the price of the Panny 12-35mm.

I agree with Ad
  8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
  9. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

The test is very severe. The sole light source is within the frame and as a result there is extreme contrast. I can think of very few lenses (including Leica and Carl Zeiss) that would not flare in that situation.

I wouldn't worry.
  10. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I see it. Question 1: Are you using a filter of any kind? If so, remove the filter and try to reproduce this. I find "flare" similar to this is often light bouncing around between the front element and a filter. Happens a lot with relatively bright light in an otherwise dark frame.

This looks very much like the a reflection of the tip of the lamp - the more green in color tip in the front, and it is reproduced just about where I would expect it to be if it was a reflection based on your apparent distance and angle.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Any time you point a lens toward a light source and include it in, or close to, the frame, you are likely to get flare, and the likelihood and severity of flare goes up with complexity of the lens design.