12-35mm review by Steve Huff

M

michaeln

I think it's wonderful that u43 has our very own version of Ken Rockwell!

dre_tech

Mu-43 Veteran
To me the sharpness of Panasonic 14 2.5 and color rendition reviewed by Steve Huff looks much better than of the Panny12-35 zoom lens.

The Panasonic 14mm 2.5 Micro 4/3 Lens Review by Steve Huff | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Do kid yourself if you'd like, but it's a different review with different cameras & processing... :wink:

To my eye the sharpness of this lens is superb, right up there with the 20/1.7 & almost the 45/1.8. Not really distinguishable in images at 100%, so the distinctions are scientific. I'm not going to pass judgement on the color rendition.

Steve Huff does usually like everything, but in this case it's tough not to like it if price is not a consideration. He emphasizes how he believes it's too expensive. I hope there will be a GH3 kit with it for more people to be able to enjoy it at $1000.

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
Steve Huff does usually like everything, but in this case it's tough not to like it if price is not a consideration. He emphasizes how he believes it's too expensive. I hope there will be a GH3 kit with it for more people to be able to enjoy it at $1000.

It's somewhat expensive in relation to current :43: lenses, but not by much, IMO. Price will go down, as it happens everytime.

As for the kit price, if past history is an indication, the added cost to a GH3 body would be closer to $700-$750.

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hmm some predictions before I click the link..

1) Lots of exclamations marks
2) It's nice and lots of FUN!
3) Not quite the same as a Leica.

dre_tech

Mu-43 Veteran
It's somewhat expensive in relation to current :43: lenses, but not by much, IMO. Price will go down, as it happens everytime.

As for the kit price, if past history is an indication, the added cost to a GH3 body would be closer to $700-$750.

I'm curious what kit you're thinking about where the lens is more than 40% off, and don't tell me a kit with the 14mm :D

The GH2 body was $899 at launch, add $600 for the 14-140, which on its own cost $849 at launch. That's a ~30% discount for the lens. Using that percentage would indicate $900 for the 12-35.

I think that's more realistic, but I didn't want be get other member's hopes up. I'd be glad to be wrong so more can enjoy the lens!

tanMu4358

Mu-43 Regular
I am about to consider purchasing the 12-35 but after reading and viewing some pictures taken by this lens I could not justify why do I need to get this >$1K lens since I am from Nikon and Canon (more with Canon) and love their 24-70 lens and have had a chance to own those lenses including the new Tamron 24-70 VC. That is why when I look at the pictures of the 12-35 and see how those pics are compared to the pics of the 24-70 FF lenses I do not see why I have to spend $1300.

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
I'm curious what kit you're thinking about where the lens is more than 40% off, and don't tell me a kit with the 14mm :D

Several actually. The Oly 12-50. The Pany 14mm on GFs. All 14-4x kit zooms. All dual lens zoom kits (even more than 40% discount in this case). The Oly 17mm kit.

I think ~40% "discount" is realistic, esp. for a lens that will be in the market for some months on GH3 introduction.

Also please keep in mind that I'm refering to EU prices though. US prices may be lower or higher on individual cases. Also, when we are talking about a kit, it's difficult to evaluate "where" the discount actually goes: the lens or the body. :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom