12-35mm Focus Hunting Slightly on GH3 when in AFC Mode

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Pentaxis, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Pentaxis

Pentaxis Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2014
    Hello all. I am new to the Micro 4/3rds format, but have been shooting quite a while with Canon APS-C digitals and high quality lenses.

I recently picked up a Panasonic GH3 with the 12-35mm lens and have noticed that in AFC mode, the focus will jog in ad out slightly quickly when focusing on momentarily stationary objects. Is this normal with AFC mode? I know that continuous auto focus is an area that still needs improvement on most micro 4/3 cameras, but didn't expect this.

I would test with another lens, but this is currently the only one I have. Firmware on both body and lens are up to date, and this sounds like a different symptom than the early 12-35mm OIS jitter.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

-Paul

2. Pentaxis

Pentaxis Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2014
    Perhaps this should have been in the camera section as opposed to lens in retrospect.

3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    This is normal behaviour for a contrast based focusing system when used with continuous autofocus, as it has to continually check the focus by focusing back and forth in tiny increments.

4. Pentaxis

Pentaxis Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks! Good to know. It was a bit disconcerting compared to the "AI Servo" mode on my Canon gear. You would figure that it would be called out in the camera's manual. I suppose this is probably more noticeable with faster glass due to the narrow depth of field.

Cheers!

-P

5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    First time I tried it I think I posted the same question! Welcome to the forum ; )

6. Pentaxis

Pentaxis Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2014
    ^ haha. Thanks!

7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Paul, welcome to Micro 4/3s. As riverr02 has mentioned, this system uses CDAF as compared to PDAF to most DSLRs like you Canon. Having said that, I have been using GH3 for about a year now, and defaults to AFC + AF-on technique, and have been happy for most of the times. Just be aware of the limitations of contrast detect AF, and you're good to go I guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.