1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-35mm Focus Hunting Slightly on GH3 when in AFC Mode

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Pentaxis, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Pentaxis

Pentaxis Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2014
    Hello all. I am new to the Micro 4/3rds format, but have been shooting quite a while with Canon APS-C digitals and high quality lenses.

I recently picked up a Panasonic GH3 with the 12-35mm lens and have noticed that in AFC mode, the focus will jog in ad out slightly quickly when focusing on momentarily stationary objects. Is this normal with AFC mode? I know that continuous auto focus is an area that still needs improvement on most micro 4/3 cameras, but didn't expect this.

I would test with another lens, but this is currently the only one I have. Firmware on both body and lens are up to date, and this sounds like a different symptom than the early 12-35mm OIS jitter.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

-Paul

2. Pentaxis

Pentaxis Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2014
    Perhaps this should have been in the camera section as opposed to lens in retrospect.

3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    This is normal behaviour for a contrast based focusing system when used with continuous autofocus, as it has to continually check the focus by focusing back and forth in tiny increments.

4. Pentaxis

Pentaxis Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks! Good to know. It was a bit disconcerting compared to the "AI Servo" mode on my Canon gear. You would figure that it would be called out in the camera's manual. I suppose this is probably more noticeable with faster glass due to the narrow depth of field.

Cheers!

-P

5. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    First time I tried it I think I posted the same question! Welcome to the forum ; )

6. Pentaxis

Pentaxis Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2014
    ^ haha. Thanks!

7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Paul, welcome to Micro 4/3s. As riverr02 has mentioned, this system uses CDAF as compared to PDAF to most DSLRs like you Canon. Having said that, I have been using GH3 for about a year now, and defaults to AFC + AF-on technique, and have been happy for most of the times. Just be aware of the limitations of contrast detect AF, and you're good to go I guess.