1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-35mm disappointment?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mftlandscaper, Apr 29, 2013.

1. mftlandscaper

mftlandscaper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    I purchased a new Panny 12-35mm f/2.8 last week. I had decided to rationalise my growing lens collection down to a set of quality zooms to minimise lens changes.

However, apart from the nice build quality, I have been sorely disappointed with its optical performance. The first problem I spotted was uneven vignetting, resulting in one dark corner (bottom right) at 12mm, even when stopped down to f/11. To me that's unacceptable on an £850 lens, so it's going back to the retailer tomorrow.

As well as the uneven vignetting issue, the limited testing I have done so far suggests that the edge performance at f/5.6 is noticeably worse than my excellent Panny 14-45mm lens, at all focal lengths. Again, not what I expect from a lens costing 3x as much.

I wanted a well-built lens with top optical quality, a useful FL range and fast aperture to use as a staple alongside my 7-14 and 45-200, but I ended up feeling robbed.

I am expecting the retailer to offer a choice of refund or replacement (based on the vignetting issue, which I regard as a fault). My dilemma is: should I try another sample, or keep the money and stick with my 14-45? My question to you guys is: should I expect better from this lens? Have others found it better than the 14-45, or is it just an OK lens with a fast aperture and fancy build?

2. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    I don't have that lens, so I may not be the best person to comment... but when I shot with Canon and Nikon I would expect their premium lenses not to vignette. I did notice some edge softness (very little but still there) on a Canon wide angle zoom when wide open. This might just be something that's hard to do on a fast (f2.8) wide angle zoom at any cost.

I've been trying to justify the 12-35, I would certainly expect it not to vignette and to be sharp across the field when stopped down a couple of stops.

3. mftlandscaper

Feb 6, 2013
    I should add that there was no vignetting in the other three corners beyond about f/5.6. Only the bottom right corner affected by the uneven vignetting issue (decentering?) showed persistent vignetting right out to f/11 at 12mm.

Vignetting wide open at 12mm is pretty severe in all 4 corners.

4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    If its a decentered element, then I'd say a least try a replacement before doing a full return--even if just in the store. It's a good lens.

5. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    A while back I did an informal test of the 12-35 and 14-45. I found the same thing. I shot the same scene from my backyard that had a log fence post with the bark still on it. I believe it was on the left edge of the photo. Same f stop and 14mm on both and the 14-45 was considerably sharper on that post. The sharpness everywhere else was the same. The 14-45 is a great lens, just doesn't have the speed or 12mm of the other, obviously.

6. mftlandscaper

Feb 6, 2013
    Unfortunately it's an online retailer, so testing in-store isn't an option. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    My copy has minimal vignetting and is sharp wide open and very sharp at f4. It conforms to the reviews I have read. I think you got a dud. I'd try another copy.

Gordon

8. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I have to agree with flash .. I get excellent results from mine throughout the aperture & FL ranges. I'd also try another.

9. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    As others have said, the OP's experiences differ from mine. I'd say it's a defective example, and the next one will be as good as most people's are.

10. mftlandscaper

Feb 6, 2013
    So it sounds like some people are happy with their 12-35 lenses. Can anyone point me to any comparison images that show a performance advantage for the 12-35 over the 14-45 (apart from the obvious focal length and aperture differences)? That would help my decision.

At the moment I am leaning towards taking a refund and sticking with the 14-45. The 12mm wide end was a selling point to me, but as I have the 7-14mm as well, it's not a big loss.

11. Take a look at the reviews on slrgear.com, Panasonic Lens: Zooms - SLRgear.com!. The 14-45 is a pretty good lens but the 12-35 is better and about a stop faster. Is that worth $1,200? Can't answer that for you ;-)

12. mftlandscaper

Feb 6, 2013
    Thanks for the link. Yes, the 12-35 does indeed score better in the slrgear tests compared with the 14-45.

13. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    weather sealed

I am very happy with the 12-35. I just ordered the companion 35-100 2.8 as well.

These lenses are weather sealed. I don't know if the 14-45 is or not, I suspect it isn't.

You don't mention the camera you're using. Mine is paired with the Olympus OM-D. This makes for a complete weather sealed kit with a fast, sharp zoom.

May not be a priority for you, but it is a feature of the lens.

14. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    This thread is rather useless without some example photos.

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I don't have the 14-45, so I can't compare, but I'm very pleased with the performance of the 12-35. Mostly been using it stopped down (landscape type shots), but works very well wide-open as well. I haven't pixel-peeped extensively, but the processed shots (standard LR or DxO settings) have yielded very pleasing results.

Definitely my go-to travel lens, as I'm very used to (and enamoured with) the 12mm wide end perspective, coming from a 5DII with a 24-105 quasi welded on (when not shooting primes..)

16. Sela69

Sela69 Mu-43 Regular

Quasi ? Are you italian :biggrin: ???

I'm italian too ... :2thumbs:

17. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    The Panasonic 12-35 and Olympus EM-5 has allowed me to sell my 5DII with 24-105; which was bought as a set a few years ago.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Half Italian, but it's a pretty common turn of phrase in English as well ;)

19. Sela69

Sela69 Mu-43 Regular

Wow, nice to know ! :tongue:

20. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    The 14-45mm was a anomaly as a kit lens in terms of its performance:price. You can't expect miracles because the 14-45 is already a great performer, IQ differences will be subtle at best. It is also (not trying to be isulting) silly to ask for a comparison but say "apart from focal length and aperture differences" as THAT IS THE PRIMARY DIFFERENCE. If you don't feel the need for a zoom range of 12-35 or a 2.8 aperture then stick with the 14-45, if you want those things then the 12-35 is better.

I own the 14-45 and just bought a 12-35, basically because a good percentage of my shots are in lower light and indoors, the 12-35 will just be better for me. Is it worth the price difference, probably No, but at this time yes because there are no alternatives other than multiple primes.