12-35 rattlesnaking on E-PL5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pdk42, Jul 29, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I picked up a 12-35 about a month ago. Fantastic lens with fantastic IQ etc. It works just fine on the OM-D - no aperture rattlesnaking at all. I used it on my E-PL5 last week though and was very surprised to find a bad case of rattlesnaking.

Given that it's supposedly almost the same camera and firmware, I was somewhat surprised. Doesn't affect the final result of course, but nevertheless...

2. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    That lens rattlesnakes on my OMD. So does the 35-100, and the 100-300.

3. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's odd - no rattle snaking on my OMD at all. One of life's little mysteries I guess!

4. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Maybe it only happens in certain lighting conditions, I'm often going from light to dark so that must set it off.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Rattlesnaking??? Have you guys even ever heard a rattlesnake? Rattling I would understand... And by the way my 12-35 does not rattle on my OMD.

6. WorldShooter

WorldShooter Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2013
    Giethoorn, Netherlands
    Peter B.
    Maybe it's a language thing. Or I'm just not deep enough into the lingo... But what exactly is aperture rattlesnaking?

7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's when the camera opens and closes the aperture quickly in response to lighting changes. It does this when you're composing and with some lens/camera combinations (notably Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies), it's actually quite loud. The sound is (perhaps) a bit like the noise of a rattlesnake. OTOH, I live in the UK where rattlesnakes are not exactly common (!), so maybe it's a bad comparison. Either way, it sounds like a rattling/chattering noise.

8. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    so is it accurate to state that this only happens when the lens and body manufacturer don't match?

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It only seems to happen with some Panasonic lenses on some Olympus bodies, so it would not be fully accurate statement without some qualifications.

--Ken

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Does it hum too? :biggrin:

[​IMG]

11. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    I'm somewhat surprised that this issue hasn't been brought up to panasonic and olympus. If they are selling the mFT as having a large lens collection that can be shared among both manufacturers, the lenses should perform the same on bodies.

It'd be interesting to pinpoint the situations where this happens. It can't be completely random and luck of the draw.