1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-35 or 20 + 45mm + 12-50?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by danng83, Jan 23, 2013.

1. danng83

danng83 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi,

I just need some advice about whether I should sell my current kit of primes and get a 12-35mm. The reason I ask is because recently I helped shoot at a wedding and also went travelling in New Zealand where I found that I ended using the zoom most of the time. I'm also considering doing more casual wedding photography work for my friend who owns a business in the future.

Currently I own an OMD, 12-50 Kit lens, 20mm and 45mm lens. After using the 12-50 - I found that I really liked the 12mm FOV and also not having to change lenses so often (when travelling and doing wedding photography). That is why I haven't really considered the 14mm type zooms.

Do you think it is worth selling the 12-50, 20 and 45 to help fund a 12-35 instead? What are the pros and cons? Is the quality of the 12-35 the same as the primes (- the shallower DOF)?

The other alternative is to borrow some Canon gear when I shoot at weddings and keep my current kit for personal use.

I would love your advice.

Daniel

2. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hi I own all the lenses you point here, except the Olympus "kit" zoom. The P12-35mm is my main lens when travelling. hardly use any of the primes P20 or O45. AF speed is WAY better than the P20 and the same as the O45. meaning, uber fast. IQ is excellent, is definitely on the same league and toe to toe to the P20 (which according to the experts and "charts" is the sharpest m43 lens of all).

Yes it is an expensive lens, but i do think its worth. It is weather sealed so with the OMD you get a full weather sealed combo, which in my personal case, never done before but in order to try this, went down in the middle of the rain here in new zealand (where i live) and shot all over the place. no problem.

It sounds like the perfect lens isnt it?. well it only goes up to f2.8, which is amazing for a zoom lens, but not so good compared to primes that can go to f1.7 (P20) and f1.8 (O45) which of course can isolate your subject much better. I cant complain though, when i shoot at the 35mm end of the P12-35mm wide open at f2.8 i get beautiful "bokeh" as well. not the "tumblr-dreamy-portraits-ones", where you hardly can notice anything in the background. but works.

If you ask me, I am going to sell all my primes (S7.5, P20, O45) to get only one, the P25 and keep my P12-35mm. and then ill probably get the O12 for my long exposures because of the manual focus ring. thats about it really. I love the P12-35mm and theres no doubt it is the best mid range zoom in the format so far.

• Like Like x 1
  3. danng83

danng83 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for your reply, very helpful. NZ is an amazing beautiful place! It sounds very good from what you say. You didn't have any problems in the rain with this combo?

4. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    I have tried the 12-35 against the Oly 12F20 (do not have the P20) and the 12-50 (at 12mm and F4) and found on my particular copy that the 12-35 actually had the best IQ. The Olympus 12mm prime was very very close and the 12-50 was just slightly softer although you really have to pixel peep to see the difference.

Basically they all work great so it comes down to your particular needs for budget, weight, low light, macro, weather sealed, or power zoom capability.

Personally I can see a need for all three lens at difference times although if I had to choose only one it would be the 12-35. Then to build from there I would get the 35-100 and save the 20mm as you always need a pancake / low light lens.

5. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I guess it depends on what you shoot and your style of shooting. I mostly do portrait work so I LOVE primes. Primes force me to move around and be more creative. If you need versatility, a zoom always come handy. There is not right or wrong answer here, it depends on you.