1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-35 or 12-40 for GX8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by specialagenttuna, Dec 24, 2015.

1. specialagenttuna

specialagenttuna Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    I was wondering which would be best? I have used the 12-40 and really liked it but that was on an Olympus Em10. Has anyone used the 12-40 on a GX8 or another Panasonic body? Does it have any issues? I seem to recall reading somewhere that keeping lens and body the same manufacture helps with distortion and CA. Since they're both around the same price and not that big, going with the 12-35 works too if it's a better match.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While there may be some advantage in distortion/CA control I think the bigger questions would be:

O12-40 has the extra 5mm and 2 inch closer minimum focus
    VS
    P12-35 dual OIS and a little smaller / lighter

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    David brings up some good points. It never hurts to have that little bit of extra reach. I'm not so sure that the Dual OIS will give you that much benefit on the shorter focal lengths, though so I would make that less of a consideration than the extra reach.

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    with 12-35 on the gx8 you'll gain DFD focus and dual IS.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    While true in general I can think of several time it could matter. So not knowing what the OP shoots it may or may not matter to them.

Forgot about DFD, but that's is definitely something to consider, again depending on what OP shoots. And might actually be the opposite end of the benefit given by Dual OIS.

6. specialagenttuna

Apr 19, 2013
    Those are some good advantages. Reach isn't too much of an issue since I'm getting other lenses to cover them. I tended not to go to the far end of the 12-40 that much when I had it. Thank you everyone for your advice!

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    That's the thing that is almost always missing from these "Which is the best?" discussion. There is no "best" without saying how you like to shoot.

For me the conclusion would be the opposite because I like to shoot fairly tight head shots, shots of architectural detail, etc. and the added 5mm of reach would move me closer to my ideal M43 focal length for those things, which would be 50 or 55mm. If someone comes out with a fast 12-50mm lens, I will own it. The current Oly 12-50 doesn't offer enough advantage over my 14-140 II, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Give me an m4/3 version of the 4/3 12-60 f2.8-4.0. :026:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    CA and distortion is only a potential issue when shooting JPGs. I think the GX8 corrects for CA and distortion for all lenses the same way that Olympus cameras with the current TruPic processor does.

If I was starting out GX8, and putting together a set of lenses, I would buy Panasonic zooms and unless there was a good reason also buy Panasonic primes. Zooms because the zoom direction for Panasonic lenses is the same as Nikon and Pentax that I've been using since the 1970's, and Olympus lenses zoom in the oppsite direction. My experience with DFD using a LX100, and reviews of Panasonic bodies with DFD, is that it is significantly better than Olympus (including E-M1 with v4 FW - I have one) for AF. DFD is also the reason for having a Panasonic prime preference. The dual image stabilization, when using a lens that supports it, should be pretty close to Olympus IBIS. The Panasonic 12-35/2.8 supports it, and the 12-40/2.8 is limited to IBIS. Even at wide focal lengths, being able to shoot at very low shutters speed, when subject motion isn't an issue, is still a significant advantage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. specialagenttuna

Apr 19, 2013
    True but I wasn't asking about what lens to shoot a certain subject. I know what focal lengths I need for how I shoot. I was specifically asking about performance on this specific body because it's from a different manufacture despite being the same mount type. I just didn't want to buy one without knowing what cons there may be that don't show up in reviews. My only experience with mixing was the Panasonic Leica 25mm on an Em10. I didn't see anything like CA being an issue but that's that specific lens. Based on the helpful advice, I'll be going 12-35 for the DFD and dual IS.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You pretty much HAVE to go 12-35 for a GX8. That's the only way you get Dual IS, Stabilized video recording, and the fastest focusing (DFD). You'll be leaving to many of your camera's best features on the table if you go 12-40.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. tkbslc

C'mon man, nobody can really tell the difference between 35 and 40 unless they are looking at them side by side.

13. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    IMO, the size advantage of the P12-35mm is significant for m43. On a percentage basis, it is significantly lighter.

• Like Like x 1
  14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I guess I am just more of a craftsman than you are. I prefer less perspective distortion to more, up to about 90-110mm/35mm equivalent which produces approximately the perspective the human eye sees in normal interactions. 12% longer is worth having IMO. YMMV.

15. tkbslc

If you shoot from the same distance, you have the same perspective, regardless of focal length. The framing will have 6% more scene on each side at 35mm vs 40mm, but the same perspective.

Not sure why you felt the need to toss weak insults. And I'll still bet you a nice lunch that you couldn't tell the difference between 35 or 40mm in a controlled test.

16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Absolutely true, but beside the point. I don't shoot from the same distance. I shoot for the same composition. For portraits, my main concern, I shoot for the same head size. With a longer lens, I have less perspective distortion for a given head size because I am farther away from the subject. I don't know what to call a concern about things like that other than "craftsmanship." Do you have a better word?

17. tkbslc

I probably chose some words improperly and am turning this into a more heated debate than it should be. I'm sorry. I'll just let your opinion stand on it's own next to mine. Let's be glad we have options in two outstanding f2.8 standard zooms for the OP.

Merry Christmas!

18. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Despite my general preference for the form factor of Panasonic's zooms, I think that if I had the cash, I would be really torn up by the choice. The DFD and dual IS are one thing, with the biggest advantage in that case probably being OIS for 4K video/photo use. But I think I would also really enjoy the 12-40's manual focus clutch, which is a really nice feature, especially on a zoom lens with that range. It also seems to me that the 12-40 is a bit better at the 12mm end, which is where I'd probably be using it most. The long end of the 14-42/12-35/12-40 always seems way too short to me anyway, so I don't think 5mm would make any difference for me. You'd need to get it up to at least 50 or 60mm before that would be a deciding factor for me...

19. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The manual clutch feature is nice, especially as it has hard stops. The GX-8 does have an auto-focus selection dial that is easily engaged, which means switching from auto to manual with any lens is a breeze.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, mainly it's for the hard stops and the more mechanical feeling linkage. I enjoy manual focus lenses, but I don't really get along with focus-by-wire, and only use it out of necessity, typically.