1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

12-35 my revised second opinion

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Kiwi Paul, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I've had the lens for a few weeks now and taken loads of shots with it using the G3 and G5, originally I really liked the lens, it is well built, nice handling, focuses perfectly and had great IQ, not a lot to dislike.
    However after my time with it and looking back at the pics I've taken I've had to reconsider. Originally I said it lay somewhere between the much revered Oly 12-60 and the ultimate zoom the Oly 14-35 SHG, maybe tending more towards the 12-60, but now after reconsideration.......I think it's much more like the 14-35, frankly I find it a stella lens, absolutely brilliant, one of those lenses that really is exceptional, the clarity and detail it is capable of is staggering.
    Just my 10p worth but from me totally recommended and worth the dosh.

Paul

Here's a sample image

Old water gate gears.
    G3, 12-35, 24mm, 1/60, f2.8, ISO160.

P1040116.

100% crop!!

P1040116.

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It would be helpful if you took pics with the 12-35 and the all of the lenses that you thought exceeded it from the same tripod at the same time. Without a comparison, I am not sure what to compare your demo pics to!?

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    How about simply appreciating the pictures for what they do show, which is a very sharp, contrasty lens that won't get in the way of making excellent photographs.

4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i don't own this lens and maybe I'm a bit slow. you didn't say anything here why you don't hold the lens on higher regard anymore.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Quite the opposite, I believe. He thought it was close to the 12-60mm, which is a very good lens, but now believes that it's closer to the 14-35mm, which is an amazing lens. I hope I'm reading that right.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i think you are reading it right ... maybe it's just me not knowing much about the other lenses to be able to differentiate between a "very good lens" against and "amazing lens" :redface:

7. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    C'mon man, I can't afford this lens! Stop it.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 - My thoughts exactly!! :biggrin:

9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    It's nice to have something that you can't afford now but which you strive to own
    later when the price drops and used examples start to become more available
    This is one that I'll definitely be looking to own one day as I am very partial to zooms
    About a year from now perhaps !
    I wouldn't want to be able to buy everything I ever wanted straight away - being able to do so would take away that elusive and unatainable quality of such products that gives you something to aim for and look forward to !
    Rob

10. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    The first image illustrates amazing depth. Paul, thanks for sharing.

11. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    When I started reading I also thought that he had changed his mind for the worst, but once he compared it to what is considered a nearly optically perfect f/2.0 zoom (the Oly 4/3 14-35mm), it was pretty clear! :2thumbs:

High praise, indeed!

12. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    i think the key point is shot with Pana, seems the Oly users aren't happy with the CA - even though it is an easy fix if you regularly open your photos in a program that does mass processing