12-35 meets 10 stop ND: Image Heavy

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by 2ndLight, Sep 25, 2012.

1. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Had some fun at a local beach with a 10 stop ND filter. These are from the 12-35, mostly at 12mm. Sorry too many images!

• Like Like x 74
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
  3. chiitos

chiitos New to Mu-43

Sep 24, 2012
    Water looks silky!
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
  5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
  6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I enjoyed these, thanks for posting. You can never post too many pictures! :smile:

On the down side, now I'll have to buy a 10 stopper myself. :rolleyes:
  7. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
  8. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    Nice atmospheric look to these
  9. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    Awesome set of photos! Thanks, I enjoyed viewing them.
  10. jalex

jalex Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
  11. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Excellent job!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
  12. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    LOL I was going to post the exact same thing! Great pics, especially the last one.
  13. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Beautiful images - thanks for sharing!
  14. pykers

pykers Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    Great photographs, especially 4 up from the bottom...love the colors.

Just out of curiosity...
    1. What body were you using?
    2. What brand is the ND filter?
  15. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Thanks for all the kind words!

These shots are with an OMD (w/ 12-35) and I was using a B+W 3.0 ND filter. I also carry a .9 ND Heliopan. I've tried variable ND filters but the quality on the ones I tested were not acceptable. Putting "black glass" in front of your lens can tend to degrade image quality so in this case I think it's worth getting a bit better grade filter. 10 stop filters also tend to throw off your white balance. In the case of the B+W filter it makes it too warm. Warm is nice but I typically have to correct the WB in LR (as I did in these images by adjusting the water back to the natural white). If you google black glass or 10 stop ND filter you can find some good reviews on the few options there are out there. Have fun!
    • Like Like x 4
  16. brokken

brokken Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    I didn't even know they made neutral density filters that dark!

Awesome shots. Rich color and crisp details! :)
  17. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Great images. I'm on the same boat as a couple of other posters here; I'm now thinking of getting a 10-stop myself for my 12/2 and 25/1.4.

I don't mean to jump on your thread but since we're on the topic of ND filters, it got me thinking. Does anyone here think that 75/1.8 would benefit from an ND filter? Am thinking a 3 stop for sunny days for candid portraits/street shot to keep the aperture open. Or does anyone think there'll be a situation where a 10-stop ND is needed to shoot some waterscape/skyline from far off? Any landscape/waterscape shooters out there that use telephoto lenses?
  18. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Just Curious, does ND0.9 (3stop) screwed onto ND1.8 (6stop) equal to ND2.1 (9stop)? Comments on pro / cons on stacking ND filters is appreciated. Thanks
  19. 2ndLight

2ndLight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Forgot to mention, I used a Heliopan circular polarizer stacked over the ND filter to bring out the sky and cut the glare on the water.

I tried stacking the 10 stop, the 3 stop, and the polarizer but got bad vignetting at 12mm (fine with a bit of zoom). Probably bad practice to have that much glass in front of the lens but fun to play with when its high noon bright light.

Yes! I would recommend a 3 stop ND for the 75. I have a 3 stop (and I think one other) for my 45 1.8 and 25 1.4. It's the only way I can get that signature shallow DOF in outdoor bright light for portraits or what not (I usually try not to take the apperature over f9 or so due to diffraction although I will take it to f11 in a pickle). Maybe I'm wrong there but that's the limit for m43 from what I've read. On the 45, the little 37mm filters are a bit tricky to handle under the hood!