12-32mm on E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrQ, May 30, 2015.

1. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Had a few questions for those that use the Panasonic 12-32mm with the E-M10.

1) Does the E-M10 auto correct for for vignetting, distortion, etc. when shooting JPEGs with 12-32mm?

2) Is the E-M10 pocket-able with the 12-32mm attached to the body (large coat pockets)?

3) How's the AF speed with the E-M10/12-32mm combo? As fast as Olympus 14-42mm II R?

4) Do you recommend Pany 12-32mm or Oly 14-42mm EZ instead? I like 12mm vs 14mm on the Pany and I think that will be more useful for me than the extra zoom.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    1) It certainly corrects for distortion. Not sure about vignetting.

2) Yes, I'd say so - but I don't have an E-M10 at present. It's certainly pocketable on the E-M5.

3) AF is fast on all modern Oly bodies. Not noticeably slower or faster than the 14-42.

4) I tested these two back to back. The Pany was slightly sharper in the corners wide open at 12mm compared to the Oly wide open at 14mm. I also preferred the manual zoom over the power zoom on the Oly lens.

Hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I prefer the 12-32 over the 14-42 RII. I find the 12-14 more useful than 32-42.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    The Panasonic 12-32mm is a very convincing lens - sharp, contrasty, very small, yet good handling, very speedy. It's certainly better in most respects than the Olympus 14-42mm IIR - that's not to say that the Olympus is a bad lens, though, just a bit too plasticky, somewhat cheaply made, especially for its usual price around here. Just my impressions, mind you - so YMMV. The little EZ zoom, OTOH, is no match for either - it's nicely made and looks good, but it's slowish to operate, and images are visibly soft by comparison. Furthermore, on the E-M10, it felt counter-intuitive - like it was holding the camera back in terms of speed and overall performance (except for focusing).

The only other cheap standard zoom that actually matches the 12-32mm in terms of overall IQ is the Panasonic 14-42mm II. I myself am still more impressed by the 12-32mm - for such a tiny lens, it's astonishingly versatile and surprisingly good. It's fast, precise and pretty reliable, but not the sturdiest; mine broke: The zoom ring came off - a disturbingly common occurance as it seems, though it should be fixable. This means that at the moment, the Panasonic 14-42mm II is the only other zoom apart from my 12-40mm that I use regularily (it's more at home on the E-PL7 than the E-M10, though - that's where the 12-40mm lives). The new Panasonic zoom is about the same size as the Olympus 14-42mm IIR and actually cheaper and offering better IQ - so it might be worth considering. It can also be had with a metal mount - like the 12-32mm ...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have this combination and it works well for me. I think all mu43 lenses are automatically corrected for distortion, but I'm not sure about vignette. Here are a couple of shots that I've taken with this combo, I'll let you be the judge regarding distortion, I'm happy with it!

[​IMG]O5170010-7.jpg by -the-levster-

[​IMG]O5160069-48.jpg by -the-levster-

[​IMG]O5160063-42.jpg by -the-levster-

[​IMG]O5160080-59.jpg by -the-levster-

I don't have an Olympus 14-42 to try, but this lens seems just as fast as any other lens that I've owned when focusing. The combination is pretty small and would fit in a large coat pocket. I can't comment on the last point as I haven't owned the other lens, from what I read the Olympus lens was not as good as the Panasonic, which is why I went for the 12-32mm
    • Like Like x 2
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My experience of the lens on Olympus bodies comes from using it on the E-M5 and E-M1...

1) Vignette correction is called shading compensation I think, and yes it does work on Olympus bodies. I still notice some slight barrel distortion at 12mm after correction when I'm shooting straight line architecture, but even after correcting for that in post it's still the best wide angle in the corners that I've found outside the primes and pro zooms.
    2) Not sure that I'd ever classify an OM-D to be pocketable, you must have bigger coat pockets than me!
    3) AF is complete fine.
    4) I like 12mm f/3.5 way more than 42mm f/5.6.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MrQ

MrQ Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2015
    Thanks for all the replies
  8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I often keep the E-M10 with a pancake lens in coat or jacket pockets with no problems, only a little attention not to rip away the eyepiece. More then size the weight can be a problem for soft light jackets. I also tried to put it in front pocket pants: you can do it but is not practical in many different ways :)
    For sure it fits cargo pants side pockets but would bounce around too much walking.
    In the end I decided that, especially in summer, a small side bag similar to cozyspeed camslinger is the best option, and also fit one extra lens, batteries, etc.
    • Like Like x 1