12/20/45 or 14/25/45 for hiking in Scotland.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Fred49, May 8, 2012.

1. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    I am leaving tomorrow for the TGO challenge, a 14 days walking event in Scotland. ( Glen Affric / Monadhliath / Cairngorms ) :smile:

My EM5 didnt arrived yet so ill use my EP2 but i am hesitating a ton about which lenses ill bring.

Since i got the 25mm the 20mm didnt saw much use, but i have mostly done city photos.

A few weeks ago i have been to Barcelona and i was perfectly happy with 12/25/45, using 25/45 outside and 12/25 inside buildings.
    But i am afraid 12 to 25mm is a bit wide as a gap.

12/20/45 is leading atm but i have changed my mind 5-6 times in the past week !!!
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    for a very light setup, a 14 - 20 - 45 will be the one I will take for the 14-days event. I wouldn't mind replacing the 20 with the 25.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sounds like a cool trek!

I would vote for the Oly 12, just because I love that lens for landscapes. If you are taking the 45, I would choose the 20 as the normal lens, because of the size/weight savings.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    why not 12, 25,45? seems like it would the holy trinity for m4/3 as of right now
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I've never been overly happy with the 14mm as a landscape lens, but other than that I wouldn't fret too much - I don't think you'll notice too much difference between the kits you mention...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Neither am I very happy with the 2/12mm but you get what you pay. I guess a truly amazing wide/super wide should cost much more. (something like the Zeiss G or ZM 21mm f2.8 would be nice)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rover

Rover Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    14 days of walking, I would just screw the 20 on the front of my camera and leave everything else home.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012

Although I probably would take a tele or super zoom with me as well. But yeah 3 lenses is a bit of a hassle.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    I would cut it down to two lenses, either 12mm and 20mm or 12mm and 45mm depending on the kind of photography you do.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    If i were hiking with my wife or any other person i wouldnt take 3 lenses.

But my backpack weight is trimmed down to 5,2kg ( less if i wear more than a shirt + windshirt) including shelter, sleeping pad, sleeping bag etc...
    at most ill carry 4,5days = 3kg of food, 1l of water and a 100g gas canister that is a total weight of less than 9,5kg, an EP2 + 3 batteries + 3 lenses +pedco ultrapod + a cuben fiber chestpack weights less than 1kg.
    So i will be between 6,5 to 10,5 kg.

As i hike solo i will have plenty of time to takes photos ( when it doesnt rain ) thats why i am willing to carry 200-300g more even if i dont use it often.

the 14 shouldnt be much better than the kit lens ( even if i only own the mkI) but its 55g so less than the kit lens if the other focals are covered.
    And the 20/25/45 are so different from the kit lens i wont take the later.

So if i have the 20 or 25 on my EP2 for 80-90% of the time as usual.
    The 45 for 10-15%
    They is perhaps 5% of the time ill want the 14 or 12 and the weight penalty is only 55gto 150g to cover that option.

Unless i plan to stich, using my simili monopod /tripod :

thinking as i write, sorry if its gobbledygook
  11. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010

in fact i would be inclined to take 2 lenses : 20mm + 45mm and throw the 55g of the 14mm where i can find some room :p

But to be honest first time i wrote my gear list it was only EP2 + 20mm
  12. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I shot film for years with a 24, 35, 90 kit. The only thing I had an issue with was the 35mm was usually just a little wider than I wanted.

I think I'd be happy with the 12, 20, 45 on a hiking trip like this. I wouldn't even consider the 75 gm. difference between the 14 and 12 or the 100 gm. difference between the 20 and 25. I know small amounts of weight add up when hiking, I strive for ultralight backpacking myself, but some things are more important than others.

• Like Like x 1
  13. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I used to have a Canon SureShot that had switchable 38 and 70mm lenses - you just flicked a switch, it didn't zoom. I was as happy as Larry.

I was in the Highlands last weekend. Wasn't hiking, so took the following:
    Samyang 7.5mm fisheye
    Panasonic 14mm f2.5
    Voigtlander 25mm f0.95
    Holga 25mm f8
    Zeiss Planar T* 50mm f1.7 + Contax adapter

Based on your possible selections and my own experience, I'd either go 14mm + 45mm or 20mm + 45mm. Not 12 unless you're happy with three lenses. I prefer two if I'm walking as one can go in a pocket.

The Pinwide I didn't use as my sensor needs a little clean :eek: but the fisheye was much more versatile than I'd thought and it has a lovely intensity in its rendition - highly recommended.
    The Holga is also really useful - dreamy standard lens and weighs next to nothing.
    Voigtlander is a great all-round standard as well as being useful in moonlight :rolleyes: and practically a macro lens as well.
    I like the Panasonic 14mm - I'm also considering getting the 11mm conversion lens they've just brought out, although currently it's more than I paid for the lens itself!
    I think it's essential to have a bit more reach available than a standard lens gives - I was tempted by the Olympus 45mm but fell for my teenage Zeiss dream instead, and so far am delighted with it.

Enjoy the highlands - the weather was lovely when I left!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Just take all four lenses! If you were thinking about taking the 25, the addition of the 20 is just a few grams heavier. That way, you'll have no regrets in the event you thought one (or the other) was better for a particular photo.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I would rather sweat a little more and take more lenses rather than find myself short when there's a great opportunity. That's also an advantage of a lighter, smaller system right. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    or you might want to consider wide zoom and a prime; 9-18 and 45mm.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Get the National Geographic Belt pack, and you can carry it without any bulk of a shoulder bag, Wear the camera + 1 lens on your neck across one shoulder, old school, but still a valid way to carry things when need both hands at times.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Sorry to hear your EM-5 did not arrive yet - I remember your original post saying you hoped that your pre-order would arrive in time for the TGO Challenge.

I think the 12mm would get some good use - even if it's only 24mm equivalent vs the 28mm of the 14mm I find a 24mm makes a big difference compared to 28mm for those wide angle landscape shots. But I think that given how little each lens weighs (even though every gram counts when backpacking light) that the 12mm, 20mm (or 25mm) and 45mm would all be worth taking - I don't think I could narrow it down to just two lenses.

Look forward to seeing your pictures and have fun - still quite a lot of snow in the Cairngorms (higher up) at the moment for May:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    so 12/20/45

I am using this cuben fiber pack, strapped to the straps of my backpack like on the 3rd from top photos on the right :

ZPacks.com Ultralight Backpacking Gear - Multi-Pack 3 in 1 Lid, Chest Pack, Belt Pack

weight of pack + attachments straps = 47g

with 10g i added a foam/duc tape back and a separation between camera and lenses

and then its a perfect with for the EP2 + those 3 lenses.

See you in 2 weeks and a half.

nb i dont have the 9-18 and resisted buying one, will be harder to resist the 12-35 if its as sharp or better than the 7-14.
  20. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I would take just the 12 and the 45, there is really not much need for anything in between
    • Like Like x 1