12/2 vs 12-35/2.8

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Another thread got me thinking ... Where does the Oly 12/2 fit now?

The Oly 12/2 runs $900 with a hood

The Panny zoom is showing at $1259 on DigitalRev currently.

Yes, $350 is a lot of money, but the gap is not so wide for a 1 stop aperture advantage vs zoom versatility and IS. The Oly is smaller, but probably not enough to make a difference in how you "carry" the camera (ie - it's not going to be "pocketable" like the pancakes)

Has anyone compared the 12 mm prime vs the wide end of the zoom?

Greytop

Mu-43 Regular
Not directly but I get the feeling that the 12-35 could well be a little sharper at 12mm (my 12-35 arrived yesterday).

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
This is not a direct answer to your question, but I did not have any trouble justifying owning the Nikon 24-70/2.8 and the 28/1.8 and 85/1.8. It's a slightly apples/oranges comparison, I concede.

chrism_scotland

Mu-43 Veteran
Its funny I've been thinking the same, although in the UK the 12-35 is £900 and the 12mm can be had for £550 so its a different decision than only a $350 difference I guess.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Same considerations have been going through my mind... do I really need the 12/2 anymore?

The 12/2 may have a very slight edge in resolving, but not by much and probably nothing that one would notice. The 12-35 is much more versatile. Ignoring the price difference, a good argument could be made for replacing the 12/2 with the 12-35. Of course, it's still nice to have both lenses for times when the smaller form factor and extra stop of speed on the 12/2 are helpful.

chrism_scotland

Mu-43 Veteran
Same considerations have been going through my mind... do I really need the 12/2 anymore?

The 12/2 may have a very slight edge in resolving, but not by much and probably nothing that one would notice. The 12-35 is much more versatile. Ignoring the price difference, a good argument could be made for replacing the 12/2 with the 12-35. Of course, it's still nice to have both lenses for times when the smaller form factor and extra stop of speed on the 12/2 are helpful.

Exactly my thought on the 12mm, size and the f2.0 would probably make me buy it over the 12-35

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
~tc~ said:
Has anyone compared the 12 mm prime vs the wide end of the zoom?

Lensrentals did their preview with some numbers and the 12/2 would win every time. How much that difference translates to in the real world is a different question, heh.

I struggle with trying to sell the 12/2 for the 12-35 or to keep it. Can't keep both unfortunately

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Lensrentals did their preview with some numbers and the 12/2 would win every time. How much that difference translates to in the real world is a different question, heh.

Their test indicated that the 12/2 show very high in performance and that the 12-35 performed surprisingly close to the 12/2.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
How much smaller is the 12/2? Doesn't seem like much from the dimensions.

"By the numbers" they may not be that much smaller, but the 12mm f/2.0 is similar in size to the Oly 45mm where the 12-35 is clearly a larger, heavier zoom. DHart has both so I'm sure he could confirm how noticeable the difference really is.

I actually listed my 12mm for sale in anticipation of picking up a 12-35, but it didn't sell, so I held onto it for the time being. I don't think I need both lenses realistically, but if I did hang onto the Oly 12mm it would be solely for the small form factor. The extra stop is nice, but not enough for me to carry both lenses at the same time.

The 12mm is small enough tossed into a pocket to add a wide angle that's decent in low light, so it has a place when combined with something like a 14-45, 14-140, or 25mm. It's great for for those that prefer primes; you can toss an Oly 12mm and Oly 45mm in a pocket or bag along with a 'standard' 20mm or 25mm on the camera and have a trio of sharp, fast focal lengths covered in a tiny package.

D@ne

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I tend to only use the 12mm length for landscape-y type shots...therefore the f2.0 of the 12mm doesn't get me anything too useful. For those who use that focal length often, I can see why the 12mm appeals. For me, the 12-35 is much more versatile, even if it is quite a bit larger.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
"By the numbers" they may not be that much smaller, but the 12mm f/2.0 is similar in size to the Oly 45mm where the 12-35 is clearly a larger, heavier zoom. DHart has both so I'm sure he could confirm how noticeable the difference really is.

There is a good bit of difference in size and weight, for sure.

The extra stop is nice, but not enough for me to carry both lenses at the same time.

I feel the same way. And in most daylight situations, choosing f/4 or 5.6, even f/8 may be quite desirable for optimizing IQ. And, usually, stopping down somewhat for greater DOF is an objective when using wide angle lenses. The speed of the 12 can be an advantage in dim situations, but often is of little value otherwise.

The 12.... It's great for for those that prefer primes; you can toss an Oly 12mm and Oly 45mm in a pocket or bag along with a 'standard' 20mm or 25mm on the camera and have a trio of sharp, fast focal lengths covered in a tiny package.

Agree! If one can deal with the scratch for both lenses, it's nice to have them both.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
How much smaller is the 12/2? Doesn't seem like much from the dimensions.

The difference is significant, as you can see from this quick snap...

Z7140151.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As with most decisions, it's about trade-offs. The 12mm is smaller, faster, and probably somewhat sharper. The 12-35, OTOH, is much more versatile. It will be hard to use the 12mm as a replacement for the 35mm end of the zoom.

You could say almost the same thing about ANY prime vs. zoom comparison: the prime will likely be smaller, faster, and probably sharper, the zoom will be more versatile.

Which matters the most for you?

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Faced with this dilemma I would probably go with the 12/2, 25/1.4 and 45/1.8 over the 12-35.

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
Problem solved here already, but for future reference check out the Four-Thirds.org Matching Simulator where you can see images of any m4/3 body and lens pair, as well as 4/3 lenses and a few legacy lenses with adapters.

Latest threads

Top Bottom