12-100 loose bayonet screws

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Hi folks,

discovered my 12-100 was not able to focus at the wide end. After some head-scratching, I realized the lens was no longer perpendicular to the camera. Further inspection shows that 2 of the 4 bayonet mount screws were quite loose, and the o-ring had partially slipped out. I removed the screws to re-tighten them all and was surprised to find that they fasten into plastic in the lens body. The plastic is stripping and I'm worried that if I re-tighten them fully, it will strip the plastic fully, rendering the lens unusable.

Has anybody tried superglue (or other adhesives) to attach bayonet screws to the lens body? Anything I should avoid? Thanks,

DH

P.S. While I find the 12-100 a nice lens overall, the use of plastic for mounting the screws strikes me as a poor decision, and not one in keeping with the 'pro' lens designation. My lens is certainly not new, but it has seen far less use than a number of my other ones, and for $1300 I would have expected better.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Has anybody tried superglue (or other adhesives) to attach bayonet screws to the lens body? Anything I should avoid? Thanks,
I haven't tried anything similar, but my concern with a thin CA adhesive (like superglue) would be that the glue would run or seep into areas of the lens that I didn't want it to be, which could lead to all sorts of negative results.

If I were going to try this, I think I would use a thicker 2-part epoxy like JB Weld, particularly one formulated and labeled for plastic.

P.S. While I find the 12-100 a nice lens overall, the use of plastic for mounting the screws strikes me as a poor decision, and not one in keeping with the 'pro' lens designation. My lens is certainly not new, but it has seen far less use than a number of my other ones, and for $1300 I would have expected better.
I agree this seems like a poor design for any lens, especially for a relatively long and narrow zoom such as this one and even more so one designated PRO.

Good luck in finding a suitable solution.

- K

P.S. Did you realize your awesome site with the list of m43 lenses is offline (or was the last I checked)?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
A little thickened superglue on the screw should be ok, but it must be just a little amount though. It takes 3 minutes to set so allows more working time.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While I find the 12-100 a nice lens overall, the use of plastic for mounting the screws strikes me as a poor decision, and not one in keeping with the 'pro' lens designation.
I don't think this is unique and my guess is likely all Olympus lenses use plastic threading where the screws go in. I know this is the case going back in the 4/3rds days as well with the 12-60 SWD for example.

This is why I have always counter argued people's gripes about lenses with plastic mounts where I say they all should be plastic and designed to break away at a certain force if you drop your camera rather than ripping out the screws from their plastic threads. A broken off mount it much easier to change out than fixing stripped plastic threads in the main body.

I just checked the screws on mine and they are all tight. Mine spends a great deal of time in the horizontal position while I drive around in my vehicle, so they would be loose if there was a problem with them.

If I used any thread locker on camera screws, I would make sure that it was specifically for small threads, like Loctite 222. I want the screws to still be removable.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
If I were going to try this, I think I would use a thicker 2-part epoxy like JB Weld, particularly one formulated and labeled for plastic.
I would use the JB Weld. Mix a small amount and with a tooth pick put a little bit in each of the screw holes. The screws are self tapping. A drop of silicone lube on each screw thread will make it possible to remove the screws if needed. Run the screws in until they feel snug. Do not over tighten them!

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Epoxy by itself probably isn't going to hold very well. The plastic edge that it will bind to is thin. It needs surface area to work. If it were me, I'd search high and low for screws the next diameter larger, same length. Then I'd modify the bayonet by reaming the screw hole. You may also need to remove some material for the head to remain flush.

You could look for a cheap broken M4/3 lens and scavenge the mount to modify just in case you goof in the process. Might even be able to find one for free.

Real Name
Chris
I would second the notion of using a tiny toothpick load of JB-weld. I have had this work for me on a multitude of problems around the house, including screws, but never on a lens mount screw.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom