11 days in New Zealand

Mikehit

Mu-43 Veteran
thanks so much for all the input thus far.

i really wish we had the time and money to do a month-long tour, but sadly we don't. it looks like we're probably spending a couple of days on the north island before heading down to christchurch and touring around the south for the remainder of the trip. maybe a quick jaunt up to kaikoura, then off to see mount cook, te anau, milford sound, lake wakatipu, queenstown, wanaka, then taking the train back to christchurch

maybe a little touristy, but this is going to be a bit of a crash course in NZ.

i'd love to do a longer, more authentic trip, but this time we just don't have the resources. i have a feeling we'll be back though!
OUCH!
You said you did not want to spend too much driving but that is looking like a very heavy schedule. 2 days in NI, one day travelling to S Island, one day flying backto Auckland. That leaves 7 days for the itinerary you propose, and presuming you are going to Kaikoura to do the whale watching (there is not much else) that is another 1-2 days - also be aware that the road from Christchurch to Kaikoura and north are still badly suffering from repeated earthquake damage and travelling can be slow.
I think Te Anu and Milford could be stretching your schedule but Wanaka and North are really worthwhile in themselves. However, if that is your proposed schedule I would suggest for consideration:
1 day in Christchurch
1 day round the Banks Peninsula (next to Christchurch),
Drop down to Tekapo - this is reputedly one of the world's great 'dark skies' areas where you can get excellent views of the Milky Way
Wanaka
Then loop North with 2 days through back Mt Aspiring Park, Mt Cook and through Arthur's Pass to Christchurch
Maybe stop at Franz Josef Glaciers (lamentably sinking) and a possible helicopter flight over one of them

You could do pretty much this in reverse and if you get to Wanaka area and decide you have enough time to go to Te Anau you can make a last minute decision to get there.

Sorry to add more options but NZ is so compact and so beautiful that once you accept the fact you will not see anywhere near everything you can do a small tour and still have your pants blown off with the wonder of the place.

Wibbly23

Mu-43 Regular
OUCH!
You said you did not want to spend too much driving but that is looking like a very heavy schedule. 2 days in NI, one day travelling to S Island, one day flying backto Auckland. That leaves 7 days for the itinerary you propose, and presuming you are going to Kaikoura to do the whale watching (there is not much else) that is another 1-2 days - also be aware that the road from Christchurch to Kaikoura and north are still badly suffering from repeated earthquake damage and travelling can be slow.
I think Te Anu and Milford could be stretching your schedule but Wanaka and North are really worthwhile in themselves. However, if that is your proposed schedule I would suggest for consideration:
1 day in Christchurch
1 day round the Banks Peninsula (next to Christchurch),
Drop down to Tekapo - this is reputedly one of the world's great 'dark skies' areas where you can get excellent views of the Milky Way
Wanaka
Then loop North with 2 days through back Mt Aspiring Park, Mt Cook and through Arthur's Pass to Christchurch
Maybe stop at Franz Josef Glaciers (lamentably sinking) and a possible helicopter flight over one of them

You could do pretty much this in reverse and if you get to Wanaka area and decide you have enough time to go to Te Anau you can make a last minute decision to get there.

Sorry to add more options but NZ is so compact and so beautiful that once you accept the fact you will not see anywhere near everything you can do a small tour and still have your pants blown off with the wonder of the place.

no, not quite. i wasn't totally clear about the number of days. i didn't count the days on the north island. we land in auckland on february 10 in the early morning, we fly to christchurch on wednesday feb 13, and fly out of christchurch on feb 23.

our little loop around the south island should be pretty manageable with that amount of time... no?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
You have a reasonable time, but as Mikehit said may be worth rethinking the inclusion of a trip to Kaikoura. It is an ideal stop if you are driving Picton to Christchurch, but since the road at times still has issues probably not worth doing it as a trip from Christchurch. At least on this trip.

Wibbly23

Mu-43 Regular
thanks for that. we aren't dead set on kaikoura at all, it's just something that came up

i'm starting to get the feeling that it's not a bad plan to move out of christchurch and spend a bit more time in the mountains.

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Make sure you get some good sunscreen and apply it regularly. Sunburn can be severe in NZ even on days you don’t think will burn you.
Sunhat, sunscreen, long-sleeved but lightweight clothes. Also, be prepared for layers of clothing - weather changes a lot (Crowded House didn't sing '4 seasons in one day' for naught). Lightweight raincoat & something warm (a fleece/pullover) to go over your clothes - particularly if you're going in to the bush; it can seem warm and sunny until you duck under cover of dense forest or you're on an exposed hillside (or checking out one of the Glaciers like Franz Josef in the Sth Island)..

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom