1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

1080p @ 60fps vs 4k @ 30fps for family videos

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Zuri, Jul 11, 2016.

1. 1080p @ 60fps

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. 4k @ 30fps

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    Hi,

A quick question/poll for your guys.
    For family videos (e.g. shooting my daughter), how would you shoot: 1080p @ 60fps or 4k @ 30fps?

Would appreciate your honest thoughts!
    Thanks!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you intend to do any work in post? I'd do 1080p for documentary stuff without significant editing like digital panning and zooming just because I hate dealing with huge files... I don't really need to see my family at 4k resolution :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    I think 97% of the time I won't do any post... I got GX7 which I'm pretty happy with, and I'm shooting videos only with my 14-140mm lens because it has Power OIS.

I can't use my 25 f1.7 because I'll get no IS. So I was thinking on upgrading to GX85 so I'd get 4k + could use my other lens that will get IS.

Sent from my SM-G935F

4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    As long as storage space isn't an issue, why would you not shoot in 4K? It's like buying a movie back when Blu-Ray first came out. Customers had the option to purchase either the DVD or the Blu-Ray. While at the time the mentality may have been "DVD quality is fine, I don't need to spend more on the Blu-Ray", but if you go back an look at it now you may think "Eww... why did I pick the DVD with inferior quality instead of the Blu-Ray".

4K is going to give you much sharper footage, and 30fps vs 60fps shouldn't be a big deal unless she's somewhat older and runs quickly (more motion blur with 30fps vs 60fps). One thing to consider though is C-AF in video mode. I'm not certain how the GX80 fares, but the GH4's AF in 4K was pretty much useless. It's not an issue for me since I just manually focus anyways, but if you're reliant on C-AF in video you may want to check some reviews specifically in this regard for the GX80/85. Hopefully Panasonic would have improved on that by now, given that it's 2-3 years after the GH4 first launched.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    For me I'd choose 60fps over 4k. 1080p is still decent, and relatively recent, 30fps OTOH isn't, more like a minimum. But I guess it all depends on your needs, for family documentary, especially kids, I can't think of a reason to not record in high frame rate that delivers visibly better motions, it just feels alive.

6. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I know many have the "why wouldn't you want to best" attitude, but I shoot all my casual family video at 720p 24fps. It makes it easy on transfers, storage, and editing. And frankly, I've never, ever wished I had more resolution (maaybe once or twice wanted more framerate for a slow-mo).

Be realistic with yourself, what is your purpose in capture, and how are you going to view the files in the future? When I watch family videos taken 20 years ago on a camcorder it certainly shows its age, and sometimes I really wish it had been recorded in 720p so I could see something better (typically low-light is more the problem). However, I've watched 720p video on a 5K iMac screen, and you know what, it looks fine. Maybe in 20 years we'll all be watching 3D 16K video through our corneal implants, and 720p will show its age, but for documentary purposes it will still show clearly what is happening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    Also, another big consideration between the 30fps vs 60fps issue is low light. Shooting 30fps means you can shoot at 1/30 (or 1/60 for the 180 degree shutter), twice as slow, and twice as much light as 60fps. If you decide to record 60fps, remember to change it to 30fps (any resolution) when you get in any low light.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    I wasn't aware of the light issueb@ 60fps. To be honest never really noticed it. I'll definitely check it out.

However, if im looking 20 years from now, I personally would really appreciate if the videos were high quality and not just an OK quality just to see what's going on. What else would you record at 4k that's worth recording at 4k?

Storage is so cheap these days it's not a problem. I also do not do any post work.

I do like the smoothness of 60fps. Too bad we aren't in a place where there are consumer cameras that can record 4k @ 60fps. Although I'm positive its not far away... [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G935F

9. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    I don't have any 4k cameras, but I only switch mine to 1080p when I'm shooting something that had planning and an intended output (short film, etc). For the casual, "oh hey, my kid is doing something cute" stuff I'm quite content to leave it at 720p.

My stack of 2TB drives disagrees! Also, I keep 3 copies of everything, so shooting 4K I would probably spend $500+/yr extra. And that's only doing video as a hobby. Organizing between all the hard-drives becomes an annoyance also. If you don't shoot a ton and you don't mind the file sizes, great, go for it!

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    All I'll say is that after experiencing 4K and watching back footage shot from my GH4 and RX100M4, it is VERY difficult to go back to watching 4K.

Using Brett's thought process above about video quality and 720p vs 1080p vs 4K, for all of your photos do you shoot it with the lowest resolution possible because they're just documentary snaps? Do you only shoot the highest resolution and RAW for jobs where you're being paid, and everything else is "meh"? If not, why do the same for your video (assuming you have the storage space necessary)?

11. wjiang

I shoot RAW because I do significant PP, and resolution only matters when I print somewhat large. I never print my family documentary photos large - I would actually be happy with 8 MP RAWs or less for family documentary stills if I could get better DR and noise performance. Same goes for family video but even more so as motion and sound are what I care about, not resolution.

If storage, processing power and transfer speeds for video was cheap to allow a smooth workflow, then 4K by all means. As it is though, I tend to avoid 4K just like I avoid the temptation for 42MP RAWs from the Sony A7RII.

12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    My view is that for personal documentary type work, then its the content not the fidelity thats important.

Almost everything you have you have ever watched on a TV screen was not shot on 4K.. the only time you may have experienced 4K level quality is in a cinema, and even then you would probably having to been going to a top class cinema and a special edition print

20/30/50 years from now the images of your daughter will still work regardless of what resolution they were shot at.

Sure if you are serious about movie making then shooting at higher resolutions offer some advantages...but at the end of the day its the content thats the king

K

13. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    depends on conditions. 4k 30fps if you're gonna do any cropping and still output to 1080. Also I find myself printing or just showing 4k video stills on the net which I never thought I'd do.

1080 60fps if you're gonna slow down the footage or like the look of the faster frame rates. In the end, it doesn't matter much just as long as you get the content recorded.

14. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Go 4K and when 8k is available upgrade. Someday when we're all watching 16k holograms those 1080p files will be as unsatisfactory as your grandmother's faded prints and soundless movies.

When your kids are off on their own and you're missing the days when you were the apple of their eye you will want all of the fidelity you can get and you'll regret anything else.

Trust me. You can't reverse time and their's no do over.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. wjiang

Even now, I find my grandparents' tiny faded prints to be awesome treasures to look through. YMMV, but for me content is king.

16. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Of course because it's all we have. But grandmon would give anything to hear a voice or see the sparkle in an eye.

17. brettmaxwell

Dec 8, 2012
    When I owned a Canon 5DmkII I shot all my casual photos with the 10mp small raw. With the several Nikons I owned I used the smallest raw file size (12-bit lossy compressed).

Exactly my thoughts.

What would be most regretful would be not capturing anything of a moment, and for me that would be much more likely to happen shooting 4K. Either a card being full because they fill so fast, or simply the nagging reluctance to press record because I'm wondering if this moment is really worth burning through $5 worth of hard drives.

18. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I want "Lagom". Why cant they just give us 2K with 40fps so we can use something between the extremes

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

19. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    You should look at Synology NAS storage solutions. That's what I use. I got a 5 years old device from them, the 213j, with 2 hard drives, each 3tb. You configure them as RAID1. basically it means that you have a usable 3tb of storage, and everything you copy into the storage, copied the exact time on both of the drives.

In any disaster occasion, you will always have the others drive as the backup.

That's how you can avoid messing around and sorting stuff in your 3 hard drives... its so simple this way.

Sent from my SM-G935F

20. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    I agree that content is KING, but in this case why do you even need a dedicated camera if that's only what matters. Grab a mobile phone and that's it.

So for me content is King but quality strengthens the content.

Sent from my SM-G935F