103 Things about Street Photography

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by digitalandfilm, Aug 30, 2013.

1. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
  2. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    There should be rules like fight club. Like the first 2 rules...
  3. Luger718

Luger718 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Ahhhh I was gonna take a picture of a sleeping homeless woman the other day, I dont see many homeless women.
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    When reading this list, I would suggest considering the source, and know that several of the author's "things" are somewhat suspect, like overexposing film and underexposing digital images because digital has more detail in the shadows - #17-18. This seems to fly in the face of what I learned as a film lab technician, as well as many of the principles of ETTR, further described in these articles by Pekka Potka: pekkapotka - Journal. While I do not consider Pekka the final word on ETTR, I would trust him on a bad day before I would ever trust Eric Kim on his best day.

Mr. Kim may be a master social media marketer, and very prolific at blogging lists, but I do not consider him much of a source for photographic wisdom. Last year he had a guest "author" write an article about wanting to embed himself in the conflicts in Afghanistan: My Thoughts On War Photography: Why It’s Important For Society by Charlie Atkinson — Eric Kim Street Photography. The packing list near the end of the article reads as if the author is heading to camp for the summer. It would be funny if he was not serious. It was like reading about a child playing "fantasy photojournalist". I know that we all had to start somewhere, but I guess in the days before the internet, one's maturation process tended to be a bit less public.

5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I've read Pekka Potka and follow (sort of) the ETTR and my final images have been much better..

Eric Kim is a poster boy of the melding of Facebook and Archie Comics.
  6. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Eh, I can't really agree. Some stuff, sure, but some is just crap. For instance, some of my best pictures came from when I was just getting into it, like 3 months with a camera. Either that, or I'm just gonna be ****ing amazing after 20 years.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Whatever the actual value, it looks an entertaining read to me and I've saved it for later (it's just turned 1.00am here in the UK). :smile: