1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

100mm mft lens?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by walter_j, Mar 20, 2015.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I thought someone had announced a 100mm prime recently, but now I can't find anything on it. Am I mistaken?

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Haven't heard about that, but I do have a 100mm f2 4/3 lens. ;)

3. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Who makes it? I haven't seen anything on a FT 100mm. Whats it worth? selling?

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Olympus makes the lens, but it goes from 35-100mm and f2 all the way. I was hoping my wink would give it away. Sorry. :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Maybe this one?
    http://translate.googleusercontent....00-mm/&usg=ALkJrhhWCtDDzk_SK0uWewB6qcQoRb-fVA

It will be for slr/mirrorless mounts, so I assume it will not be a small lens...

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Considering the prices used Trioplans are fetching that could be good business sense. I had one a few years ago - bought it for about £40 and sold it for about £80 a year later. Looking at used prices I should have hung onto it as an investment...

From memory it was sightly bigger than the Oly 60, but not a massive lens. It will be interesting to see how much it sells for - the optical design is very simple - it's a basic triplet hat's slightly over corrected for spherical abberations. It's only a fairly average performer beyond being able to be used as an effects lens.

7. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    They are also selling rebranded Mitakon lenses for 3x price, so I am not that much optimistic on the price. It is good if the size is not too big, but then IQ is a question... Zeiss updated their older ZM lenses as Loxia so we'll see if they will improve the older design for high MP digital cameras...

8. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    • Like Like x 2
  9. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    can macro lenses be used as a regular lens?

10. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Absolutley. Take a look at the Oly 60mm showcase, and you'll see examples. The biggest downside to a macro as a regular lens is that focus speed tends to be slower, and there is more focus range to hunt through. The Oly 60mm has a focus limit switch to help with this (as do some other AF macro lenses). The Rokinon, like all of their lenses, is manual focus only.

• Like Like x 1
  11. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    And if I were interested in the Rokinon, I'd probably buy the Canon version with an adaptor (and probably a Metabones Speed Booster.)

That would give you the choice of an 71mm/F2 and a 100mm/F2.8 macro; and the resale market is probably better on the Canon. And if you open up the lens to f5.6 for macro work, you'd still get the extra light from the Speed Booster.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not much reason to buy a $500 manual focus macro designed for a DSLR. We already have a 50 year selection of those to draw from, with some under $100.

You be at a shorter focal length, though, so less magnification.

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I keep thinking it would make sense for Panasonic to launch some longer primes. They've got ten in the 14-45mm range (including v2 lenses). The Olympus 75mm f1.8 is one of the top selling primes in the system AND it is expensive. You'd think Panasonic would want to get in on that action. A 90mm f2 would make a nice progression from their 42.5/45 primes. Give it a TC option and I could see it selling very well.

• Like Like x 2