100mm f/2.8 macro??

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by WT21, May 31, 2013.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I am not a huge macro shooter per se, but I do like close-focusing lenses.

The 45 and 60mm macros are nice, but I think I'd like something longer. Maybe a 100mm or 150mm. I'd LOVE it at 2.0 (even if that makes the lens big), but 2.8 might be what you have to accept.

I know there's the Panny 35-100 2.8, but the mfd is .85, and I'm not keen on that lenses bokeh (just based on pics I've been viewing). I have an FD 50mm macro, but would like some more reach.

Anyone else want a longer reach prime with a close MFD, even to macro level?

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I own the PL 45mm and while I like it a lot, sometimes I do wish for more working distance especially when combining with extension tubes. With that said, with a longer lens its probably going to be difficult to do hand held macro which I like since I dont like to carry a tripod with me. Why do you want it faster though? DOF is going to be razor thin. Even on my PL 45mm when focusing on an rather small insect, very slight movements on my end will completely ruin the focus and focus stacking is needed most times to get the entire insect in focus if you want to fill the frame.

3. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I have the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 macro and it's a great lens at a really great price (under $500 usually). Works like a charm on my full frame rig and produces some great images on my m4/3 (I don't use AF for macro anyhow). Not sure if you were looking for a lens recommendation here, but if you were, and you don't mind manual focus, consider this mine. BTW, I believe the Nikon mount version has a manual aperture control as well - bonus!

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    yeah, lots of good legacy macro 100 2.8s out there. My favorite is my vivitar 100 2.8, Kiron built.

I have pics of my 60mm Oly lens in my gallery just waiting to be posted in the Buy/Sell forum. I love my old 100 2.8 waaay more

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I would like a longer one with good stabilization. I have the Oly 60/28 that replaced a Nikon 105 macro and miss the extra working distance in some cases.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I recently picked up a Raynox 250 and I'm very impressed with it. On my 75/1.8 and 100-300 zoom it works very well. For occasional macro use I think it's a good solution.

7. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    I sold my 60mm when I tracked down a 4/3 Sigma 105mm 2.8. Closest thing to a native long macro. Everything electronically works, AF is slow but usable if you want it. Double the MFD and IQ wise while not quite as sharp wide open as the 60mm it is at least equal to it stopped down.

My Sigma 105mm samples

8. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    The Sigma 105/2.8 for 4/3 with adapter maybe? I had that one and it's a really nice lens

(I'm also in the dilemma, should have bought the 60 macro for this summer but the "short" reach have made me wonder)

Isn't there even a odd manufacturer of some longer native macro for mFT? Maybe Oly will make one until next year, they said the will make more tele

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Does anyone make extension tubes for M4/3? That may be an option...

10. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Extension tubes are more effective with shorter lenses, when combined with longer focal lengths their effect is reduced.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, with longer focal lengths a teleconverter may be more beneficial even though you are introducing more glass. A 2x teleconverter or a 1.4x teleconverter is 2x or 1.4x magnification no matter what lens, whereas the effectiveness of extension tubes vary depending on the lens.