1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

100mm 2.8 canon or oly?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by fdifulco, Jan 6, 2012.

1. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    looking for a lightweight and compact 100mm 2.8 lens to go with EP-3. from looking on the board i a leaning towards either the Oly 2.8 or the canon 2.8. i see there are two versions of the canon, older ssc and non ssc version. the canon is a little more weight and length. the oly is lighter, shorter and has built in hood. the picture quality appears the same.

has anyone had and compared both and can share any insight?

i tried using my 4/3 50mm with the 2x extender and adapter. it requires good light and manual focus is cumbersome.

i had hopes maybe oly or pan would release a prime 100 in 2.8 but it may be a while.
    thanks
    frank

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have a Pentax 100/2.8 myself and love it. It is closer to the Oly in size.

[​IMG]

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Canon FD, Olympus OM, Pentax K-mount, Nikon F-mount, Konica Hexanon, Minolta Rokkor, etc. They're all great, and all will work wonderfully for your needs. Don't worry about nitpicking the differences between the brands.

4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Having said that, some lenses which gave outstanding performance on film may not be so hot with digital, particularly in terms of CA.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The Olympus 100/2.8 is about the size of most 50mm lenses of the day and was highly thought of in film days. I was never crazy about Canon products at anything but the top end stuff.

Fred

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    CA is fairly easy to correct. The main issue is low contrast especially at wider apertures. I've not found any legacy lenses that deliver truly crisp images wide open on m4/3, and if you're going to always stop down, native options often make more sense.

DH

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, this is a big deal... If the OM Zuiko lenses can deliver the same quality but in a much smaller package, why not go with the smaller package? That's why we use Micro Four-Thirds in the first place, isn't it? ;)

Besides which OM Zuiko lenses are dreamy to handle. Really well crafted focus and aperture rings.

8. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    thanks folks. going to do more research but if i think the Oly with the lighter weight and quality may be my solution. i have to keep the weight down due to issues with my hand.
    thanks
    Frank

9. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    thanks to all for their suggestions, got the oly 100, 2.8. it is compact and lightweight - it would be nice if oly did a m 4/3 prime in that size! got a few test shots in using the VF2.

my two top models :}

i focused on her eyes.
    P1162793L-M.

more of challenge with this one, she does not sit still.
    P1162788L-M.

one long shot, not much on composition. they were watching the squirrel running on the shed roof.
    P1162827L-M.

need to do more shooting with this one.