1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

$1000 for a E-M5 in silver...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Feb 7, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'd do that. The silver is kinda hot looking...

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Only if it were real silver, and not just metal that's finished like silver. I'd pay $2000 if it were gold. Even 18K or 14K, it doesn't have to be 24K.

(Seriously though, I would buy this for $1000 at the drop of a hat. It's $700 cheaper than the E-5 and has the unique advantages I've grown to love of the Micro Four-Thirds system such as accurate EVF viewing, electronic magnifier, compact size, broader lens compatibility, no need for lens adjustments, freedom from eye-level finder, etc. That's good enough for me!)

3. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    John, are you getting the K-01??

As for the $1,000 OMD5 (sorry, I don't have the name down yet) -- I think the silver is aweful lovely looking, but I really like my EPM1, so I'll have to see some serious IQ upgrades before I'll buy.

5. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I am a sucker for nostalgia... and I love and still use my Pentax KX + MX... the silver E-M5 is calling for my wallet.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Why? Compared to a NEX-7, the specs are underwhelming. Other than for the EVF, it's more of a NEX-5 competitor. The NEX-7 is only $200 more. The NEX-5 is $300 or so less.

7. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Have your seen this? A picture is worth a thousand words....all of a sudden weatherseals have meaning! (But I think I still prefer the silver...)

Olympus-E-M5-price.

• Like Like x 1
  8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    OT, but yes. Pre-ordered. Backup for my K-5. Also interested in how the video is, and if it can replace my GF2 as my everyday throw in the bag camera. I doubt it because of the size, but we'll see.

Regarding this top dog Oly, it's pretty, but I'm not into the nostalgic vibe. Aesthetically I'm more drawn to wacky lets give this a try designs like the K-01. And I've got many of the key features in my kit - improved sensor (GH2 and K-5), weatherproofing (K-5), nostalgia (MX and Takumars). So it's a miss for me, but I'm sure it will sell well, which is cool.

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Specs are specs, I love my Oly jpgs, and I've disliked the NEX design concept from Day One.

Now if THEY downsized a bit to a m4/3 version with smaller Zeiss lenses... maybe. It isn't the company I dislike, just the NEX/lens combos I've seen and held. Too clumsy, IMHO.

To each our own... that's the beauty of it all.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    oh my.... this camera is a competitor to a camera with no hotshoe, no viewfinder, no external mic jack, point-and-shoot menu system, no weather sealing, a collection of three soft, overpriced lenses on release and maybe two more having been added years later, and... I don't think I really need to go on? Though I could go on...

Trust me, if you buy cameras off spec sheets then you're throwing away your money.

• Like Like x 5
  11. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Ah... you mean like how you're listing things off spec sheets? :smile:

12. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Too true. It's in the eye of the beholder. I have Olys and Pannys. I find they pale compared to my NEX. I find it much harder to do anything with the M43 cameras compared to my NEX. I do only shoot MF lenses though. For MF, the NEX is on another level.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What are you talking about? :confused: The things I listed you learn from using the systems. The spec sheets don't list those things.

14. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Has there ever been a debate whether the strength of m4/3 has been native glass? You could make the argument that Nex has to do adapted glass well, cause they don't have anything decent native. :horse: Your point is that the OMD pricing is not fair relative to NEX pricing because of focus peaking?

15. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Looks like you found the camera that suits you're needs, the nex and manual focus lenses. Good luck with that "system", I'm sure you'll find it most satisfying.

16. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    It's just not peaking. Even before then, the NEX was better at MF than my Olys or Pannys.

My point is that for $200 more, the NEX-7 is a better camera. Thus the OMD is overpriced. If it was $600. It would be a winner. At $1000, not so much.

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    But again, ONLY for MF lenses. No thanks. I've got my AF set that NEX can't touch.

I shot a 5 and 5n. Didn't like either, including not liking their overcooked colors, and slow AF.

• Like Like x 3
  18. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry, but I haven't heard one reason why the Nex-7 is a better camera, or why it "deserves" to cost more than the Oly.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    No offense, but the nex system is over priced when you start looking at the native glass.

• Like Like x 1
  20. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm

Why do folks who think other mirrorless systems are better than m4/3 hang out here? :confused:

• Like Like x 3