$100 cashback.. feel like I want to buy something!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ted, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    So, I've got some Christmas money that I feel I should spend on something "fun" rather than bills and Olympus are doing a $100 cashback on lenses at the moment.. it's a no brainer! I currently have the 12-50 kit lens, the 17mm 1.8 and the 45mm. I love my primes but have noticed they are a little niche.. the 17 is killer for walk about street stuff and the 45 for portraits, but I quickly learnt on holiday that I used the zoom a lot more when bushwalking and doing landscape stuff, so maybe I should sell it off and get the PRO? Then again, I am far from a pro myself, and maybe I'd not see any difference in my photos (quicker aperture would be nice though) and I'd have more fun if I picked up the 60mm macro? I do enjoy the macro mode on my current zoom and this would just give me more of that! Then again, I sometimes feel the need for more reach so perhaps the 75-300 could fit.

I realise this is entirely a personal thing and I'm comparing apples and oranges, but basically just hoping that someone here is passionate enough about one of these to convince me :tongue: My current line of thought is to get either the macro or the 75-300, as I figure in a few years I'll probably upgrade my E-M5 and I can just get the Pro kit then. What do you think? Where is the most fun to be had?

2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    What about the 9-18mm? Ultra wides are soooo much fun. Or even the Samyang 7.5mm 3.5 fisheye, $100 gets you about 40% there!

• Like Like x 1
  3. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Me, I'd go for the 75-300 and I just did :smile:
    I wanted to "complete" the range and this one did that. Sure I could still fill a hole at the wide end but my 9 BCL is fun enough for now. You already have two great primes and one that does macro very well. If you found that the zoom was more useful I say that's the way to go. 40-150 R is also great value but with the 75-300 you wont miss much at the wide end but gain a lot at the far end. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

9-18 or 75-300. 40-150Rs can be found super cheap used from kits so not really worth it. And as TassieFig said, your 12-50 already does macro pretty well.

5. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Wide = Fun

6. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    I wish a couple of you didn't say about the 9-18, as I have wanted one of those for awhile after seeing some pictures that someone else on here posted a couple of months back but they are expensive compared to the others I was considering and hard to find much info on. Points regarding the 75-300 seem to be sensible, is it fun shooting in that zoom range? I used to have a 75-300 on my old crop sensor Canon but I imagine it's a lot more throw on m43's. I honestly didn't use it that much, but when I did use it I always wished that it zoomed in a bit further than it actually did.

7. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    devils lawyer here. dont buy anything. go out and shoot with your stuff and enjoy. at least for me, gear lust comes in times when I sit too much in front of review sites etc. :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    So I went in to my local camera store yesterday with the intention of getting the 75-300, despite fransglans better judgement and the total truth in his post! :redface:. They didn't have it, and I walked out with the 60mm Macro. Woops! So far I've only played with it around the house, but it's been really fun getting up close and personal and the detail is stunning. No regrets, as it was Christmas money and I always feel that should be spent on something you want but otherwise wouldn't have bought yourself. Will probably still snatch a 75-300 while the cashback offer is on just for when I need that extra reach.. it's amazing how much more I'm willing to spend on m43's than I was on my old Canon system due simply to the fact that I actually take the camera out and use it a whole lot more!

9. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    I think you made a good choice.