1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

100-300mm or 75-300mm for aeroplane photography?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by nandystam, May 21, 2016.

1. nandystam

nandystam Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I am looking at either of these lenses for taking photos of aeroplanes as they take-off or land from my nearest airport, and maybe from others if I decide to travel. I have used the 40-150 on my E-M5 and whilst I was happy with the results, a little bit of extra reach would have helped.

I've read a lot of posts and it seems in a lot of cases people suggest the Panny lens for Panny bodies, and the Oly lens for Oly bodies. Having said that, the 100-300 can probably be picked up for around $50-$100 less based on local used prices.

It's not a lens I'd use frequently so saving a few dollars helps. That said, the Panny 45-200, albeit shorter, is cheaper again.

Or, as an even cheaper alternative. would I be better off adapting a legacy zoom lens and using manual focus?

2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would recommend the Olympus 75-300 II lens to go with your Olympus body. It has pretty good sharpness overall (though some will say it has some softness at 300mm). It also will keep up with the higher frame rate of the Olympus cameras whereas the Panasonic 100-300 won't (due to slow operating aperture blades). You would need to get a lens hood to go with it & the JJC model is just fine, although a little large. I prefer to use the (JJC) hood for the 40-150 lens & modify it to fit the 75-300 lens as it takes up less room in the bag.

3. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    Hi Ross.
    What modifications would need to be done to make the 40-150 hood fit the 73-300?
    Thanks.

4. Ross the fiddler

I'm glad you asked. ;)
    Here is a back view of the original LH61D
    S1162252-cr-s.

And this is the trimmed out JJC LH61D. A sharp carving knife is what I used but a scapel may be OK too if done carefully & safely.
    S1162250-cr-s.

Note, it is the centre section in the top & end bits in the bottom that is trimmed out & this will then allow it to be fitted in forward & reversed positions. Maybe a little scraping around the rest might be needed if the fit is too tight but rub the contacting surfaces with a dry lubricant like a 2B pencil (graphite) making sure there is no excess to get in the wrong places. I don't like to use any grease either although others have their own ideas on that.

Here is the 75-300 lens on my E-M5 with the hood attached. You can see it keeps it looking neat & not bulky like the LH61E would look on it (I need to take a photo of that hood on to show how large it is since it came from the original ZD70-300 lens).
    P5143289-s.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  5. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    Do you have the 1.4x teleconverter?

6. Ross the fiddler

I think nandystam is referring to the kit lens 40-150 that would not be usable with the MC14.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1