100-300 on EM5 problems

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by chrism_scotland, Jul 20, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well I've been trying out my new Panasonic 100-300 on my EM5, its the second lens I've had having tried one and returned it a few weeks back and overall very pleased with the lens, cracking build and lovely image quality.

However it seems to sporadically decide its simply not going to focus, its very very frustrating, and I remember the previous version of the same lens did the same :(

I'm just hoping its not a sign of an ongoing incompatibility with Panasonic lenses as I've also had it happen with my 25mm but never with either of my Olympus lenses (9-18mm / 45mm).

2. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Firmware is up to date (v.1.2, IIRC) ? Silly question, I admit, just ruling out the obvious. :smile:

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Tried the 100-300 on two different Olympus cameras and two different Panazonic cameras, same thing, very, very poor focus, ....... dud lens.

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I've gotten excellent results from the one I've got, both on a GX1 and on an OM-D.

5. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I think my copy is mediocre but when I sent it to Panasonic to be checked out, they assured me it was fine. I still don't believe them & it seems that there is some sample variation between different copies of this lens.

Sent from my NookColor using Mu-43 App

6. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    I ran into a not-focusing problem today with firmware 1.2 and the panny 45-175 lens. It just won't focus onto the center of the frame and kept showing up as blurry spot... I had to turn it off and back on to fix it. Easy fix, however it's still annoying to run into it regardless...

7. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Does it focus poor with a Panasonic camera? If so, why don't you return it?

My copy of the 100-300 focuses without any problems on the GF2, GH2 and GX1

8. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I will check the firmware, as I said it happened on the first 100-300 I had and also seems to happen (although) less often on the 25mm its very frustrating.

9. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The 100-300 on my EPL1 sometimes refuses to AF even though all conditions for it to do so are good. I think that's just the way it is.
    Off and back on fixes it.

10. KellyinPA

KellyinPA Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    I bought and returned a 100-300 because no images were sharp on my Panasonic GF1. I kept seeing great reviews, so tried another with dramatically better results. I'm now using it on the OM-D, and love it. I think there's a lot of variation in quality of this model.

11. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    The one I had refused to focus sometimes on my E-P2. I reckoned it was due to low light conditions and poor subject contrast caused by a long FL blurring everything out to mush sometimes. Out in some fields on an overcast day it pretty much refused to focus but at home would be perfect. I think the lens was optically OK and the OIS worked brilliantly.

12. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well even with the V1.2 firmware it still seems to refuse to focus at times, there were a few occasions it was obviously due to poor subject contrast but I'm baffled why it seems to do it so much, very very frustrating.

13. jamsa

jamsa New to Mu-43

May 13, 2012
    highlandsUK
    hope its just a blip

Found this threadand hope its not an ongoing problem..will try the lens out and perhaps take it up with Jessops or Panasonic if I have the same problem.
    thanks

14. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    While out on my second outing with the E-M5 today, I noticed that if i didn't power down the camera when switching out lenses, some of them would behave erratically with focus and sometimes my aperture/shutter speed dials would completely perform different operations.

I found that lens issues were usually solved by powering the camera off then back on again.

haven't had experience with the 100-300 -- but am interested in getting one.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    No problems (knock on wood) with my version on the OM-D, even on action stuff it never freezes or hunts forever.

P7140094.

P7100189-XL.

Gary

16. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I've noticed that on some zoom lenses I'll have trouble focusing at certain FLs (both Panasonic and Olympus bodies). If I just zoom in or out a tiny bit I get focus back. Could this be the problem?

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    No problems with mine, either, but changing lenses without powering the camera down and back up has always struck me as potentially risky. Some camera manufacturers used to specify this step when changing lenses. I haven't checked to see whether Olympus or Panasonic recommend it.

18. Daozard

Daozard Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    I have similar issue on the focusing... I do noticed the issue when zoom into 300mm... If u zoom out just a bit, it will focus again... I m on OMD...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Mu-43 App

19. brissytim

brissytim Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    I have been looking at getting one of these for my OM-D. After tossing up between it and the Oly 75-300 I settled on the 100-300 as reviews said there is not much difference in IQ and the pana is ~$400 cheaper. Do you think this is a deal breaker? Would it make spending the extra money on the oly worth it? Any feedback from people who have used both would be greatly appreciated?

20. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I second you up, also looking for the same answer!