10 Stop ND: Hoya HD or Haida?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Tony Rex, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Hoya PRO ND1000 AUD 55 (USD 38)

Haida PRO II ND3.0 AUD 69 (USD 48) << cost more?? :hmmm:

FWIW, I have Cokin P system but let's keep it simple for now. Besides the glass squares seem to cost even more.

Which one would you get?

2. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    I am not sure about the HOYA but my Haida filters are a lot more color neutral than my B+W 10 stop filter.

3. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Thanks for confirming that mate. Yes, B+Ws are definitely out of the race. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/10-Stop-Neutral-Density-Filter.aspx , and on that article the Hoya was the most neutral so I'm willing to take a punt on the ghosting issue. B+W has evolved into heliopan locally, and I don't wanna hear more about it at AUD 109 for the 62mm. Shame, cause I just bought a clear B+W xs-pro nano for the Olympus 45mm that are on clearance for AUD 35 (USD 25).

And btw, it is for the Oly 12-40, so 62mm..

4. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  5. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Looks like you already decided, but I've enjoyed my Haida filers. That said I'm looking into a square filter kit. I do too many water sunset/sunrise photos where I should be a polarizer in conjunction with a gnd and a nd filter.

7. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Thanks for the tips fellas. Yes, I bought the Hoya already. I chose the screw-in type from early on because I figured light sealing has got to be spot on at 10 stop, then anything goes afterwards within the P holder. The cheapest Haida 83mm square ND1000 cost almost A$100, that's one big punt on black! :)

I've got a genuine slim Cokin holder and rings, but still waiting for a cheap eBay kit (holders+rings+4 ND+4 GND+CPL+hood) to fill the gaps.

8. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I've got a screw-in Haida MC PRO II Slim ND1000 filter and I'm very happy with it.
    Very few color cast and good price for the quality. The 52mm size it's not expensive for the quality it delivers. Plus, the slim profile is very useful for use on a 12mm lens without vignetting.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I too have a Haida filter, and absolutely love it. Very slim frame, MRC coating seems to do a good job at reducing flare, minimal color shift that is easy corrected in LR, and it allows me to get 4+ minute exposures at dusk, which can create some really awesome effects in the sky with the presence of clouds.