1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

10 stop ND filters are hard to come by...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by evilnim, Feb 2, 2013.

1. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    After being inspired by some photos on the forum, I've been hunting for a heavy ND filter, 9-10 stop preferably, to use with my OM-D and probably panny 25mm. Keen in screw ins rather than slide ins.

There is virtually nothing in the uk available!

Noone has the heliopan 10 stop (teamwork digital don't actually have stock), there is an 8 week wait on the b&w 10 stop (and I hear it colour casts a little). The only option open to me seems to be the hoya NDx400 with a 46-49mm step up ring.

Anyone else from the uk have any better ideas?? I CAN'T WAIT MUCH LONGER TO TRY MISTY WATER PICTURES AND GHOSTING EFFECTS!

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    If you don't mind the degradation in IQ some people have had success using sheets of welding glass as pseudo ND filters.. Not a long term solution but it's cheap and works.

3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Robert white has some stock. They seem to have the 46mm b+w in stock.

4. badcatgary

badcatgary Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Jeremy
    I use the Hoya with a 46-49mm step up ring, and have been very happy with it. If you look at my Great Falls thread you can see some examples.

5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    put 2 polarizers together... if you're looking fo cheap and dirty.

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Do you have something against buying off ebay?

They certainly have them. I bought a 10x B+W ND there but havent yet had a chance to use it (do I cant tell you if it has a color cast) but, in any case, you should be able to get rid of it with pp.

nd filter 1000x b+w | eBay

7. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Hitech 10 stop pro is excellent and usually available pretty quick from Formatt, you still get a colour cast like the LEE but shoot RAW and its easily fixable in PP.

I have both the 85mm and 100mm, the 85mm works perfectly on the OM-D, and the 100mm was for the 5D, so you dont actually need to spend a fortune either.

8. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. I had seen Robert white - but it's an 8 week wait. The hitech pro certainly looks decent, but is rather avoid needing to use filters with holders purely from a portability point of view. Ill scope out the eBay options and also the step up ring - that with the hoya probably works out cheapest too!

Thanks all. This forum is ace.

9. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Ps badcatgary - quality photos on the great falls thread. Makes me wish I lived near something like the Potomac rather than the canals in Birmingham town centre...

• Like Like x 1
  10. TDP

TDP Guest

You can use a step up ring and stack lower stop NDs on top of each other, depending on the step up depends on how many you can stack before they start to show in the photo.

11. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahaah..do u want me to send mine ? I can loan it to you if u want?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

12. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Haha, thanks for the offer Bhupinder!

It's ok, looking on international eBay was a good shout - managed to find a heliopan filter shipping from Germany for about £48 with delivery - ill let you all know how it pans out!

13. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Just to let anyone in the uk know if they are interested, teamwork digital now have the 46mm heliopan 10 stop ND back in stock for £43.74 inc delivery...

14. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    What is wrong with the Hoya?

I'm using a 52mm Hoya ND400 and have no issues with it.

Here is another option:
    ND Fader Filters

The smallest size is 52mm, which may be bigger than you want. It also only goes to 8 stops, but looks to be a very convenient and useable solution.

15. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I ordered a 10 stop Heliopan from Amazon.co.uk two weeks a go. As far as portability goes well you need a tripod for the long exposures you'll be shooting so why not get a modular filter holder.