10 stop filters/welding glass, etc

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Danny_Two, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    Anyone using 10 stop filters or welding glass for long exposure photography with m 4/3?
    Seen some fantastic results and would like to give it a go.

What are you using, I've seen some cheap 52mm 10 stoppers on Amazon which would fit my 9-18. Anyone got any recommendations or tips?
  2. Rich L

Rich L Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2011
    I've used welding glass with medium format black and white film. The stuff I got was very cheap replacement glasses, green, and around 14 stops density. I tried the glass on an e30, but ran into exposure times not going long enough, and under exposing. I tried upping the ISO, but you have to like noise doing that.

I'd go for a known neutral density filter - no strong colour cast, and with the welding glass I noticed loads of optical imperfections, although I noticed none in prints. 14 stops with the film I used gave me round about 20mins @f11 in full sun. Some things looked good, and some not so good!

Have fun
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wow.....20 minute exposures. Far out! I've been looking at the cheapo variable ND filters myself. Anyone have experience with those?
  4. mrjoshua

mrjoshua Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I've read that the cheap variable ND filters can make images look soft.

I went with a Cokin P filter holder (with step up rings) and a selection of P-sized ND filters.
  5. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    If you just want to experiment for fun, the cheap stuff may suffice, but if you want to achieve quality images, I would advise getting a Hoya 10 stop filter. As others have stated, the cheap stuff will give you a strange color cast.

I recently came across this fantastic article on using neutral density filters, and it is very much worth a read: "The Ultimate Easy Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | RedBubble

The images found on this site alone will get you excited about the possibilities. I'm going to dust off my DSLR and filter kit to explore beyond the occasional waterfall shots.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Totally agree with that - thank you so much for posting this great link !
  7. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    For people in the UK, i have a 7dayshop.com Variable ND Filter. I got it mainly for video, but you can get some great photos with it too. I think mine was £19. Well worth a try in my opinion.