1 x OEM E-M5 Battery or 3 x DTSE Batteries w/charger?

JStheoriginal

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Justin
I'm trying to figure out if I should get 1 x OEM olympus battery ($60 here) or the 3 x DTSE non-OEM batteries that come with a different much smaller charger and car charger ($35 shipped on eBay).

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewitem?itemId=200834819339

The smaller charger is a definite plus for DTSE. The DTSE shows the battery status on-camera like the OEM version. The MAIN negative I've read about the DTSE is that they don't hold a charge very well if left unused (I often go in spurts of photography).

Anyone have thoughts on whether the DTSE claim regarding holding a charge is exaggerated? If so, I'll likely go for them based on cost and the much smaller charger.

Thanks!

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
I'm trying to figure out if I should get 1 x OEM olympus battery ($60 here) or the 3 x DTSE non-OEM batteries that come with a different much smaller charger and car charger ($35 shipped on eBay).

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.ca/viewitem?itemId=200834819339

The smaller charger is a definite plus for DTSE. The DTSE shows the battery status on-camera like the OEM version. The MAIN negative I've read about the DTSE is that they don't hold a charge very well if left unused (I often go in spurts of photography).

Anyone have thoughts on whether the DTSE claim regarding holding a charge is exaggerated? If so, I'll likely go for them based on cost and the much smaller charger.

Thanks!

I have two of the DSTEs and can confirm they don't hold a charge if left unused. I can charge them along with my Oly battery, let all three sit for a week, and only the Oly will retain a charge. The DSTEs are fine as long as I charge and use, which I don't. Have been making a list of items to sell, and the DSTE kit will be on it. Pls PM me if interested. :smile:

--
Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
Thanks for confirming it...sucky so I think the best way is to go with OEM$ :(

I ended up getting a second OEM battery too. I'd heard great things about the DSTE batteries, so I gave 'em a try. When I first got them, I charged 'em and went shooting. I didn't notice that they don't hold a charge till I took a short break from shooting and found both DSTEs drained.

I've bought third-party batteries for many cameras and have had them function just fine, but the BLN-1 is one battery best bought OEM, I think.

rozza

Mu-43 Regular
Another way to look at it - two good batteries are going to be far less hassle to manage vs one good one and three mediocre.

owczi

nareteV 34-uM
There is another solution:

Buy two Hahnel HL-ON1 batteries. Or three:

Hahnel Innovative Accessories

Hahnel is one of the reputable brands of replacement batteries. That battery has a capacity very close to the original, and works in the Olympus charger. I don't own it, but that company does not do things half-way (used some of their Nikon batteries), and online reports confirm that it works in the original charger. It's available online from many shops.

Definitely better than DSTE.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
I can't say that I share everyone else's experience with the the DTSE batteries. Mine hold a charge just fine. They obviously don't last as long, but they get me through an afternoon of shooting without a problem.

silver92b

Mu-43 All-Pro
There is another solution:

Buy two Hahnel HL-ON1 batteries. Or three:

Hahnel Innovative Accessories

Hahnel is one of the reputable brands of replacement batteries. That battery has a capacity very close to the original, and works in the Olympus charger. I don't own it, but that company does not do things half-way (used some of their Nikon batteries), and online reports confirm that it works in the original charger. It's available online from many shops.

Definitely better than DSTE.

Just searched with google and could not find any of these for sale... The company website does not list any dealers.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just searched with google and could not find any of these for sale... The company website does not list any dealers.

they seem to sell for ~30GBP, which is not that much cheaper thatn $50USD for OEM batteries. Doesn't seem like you making a huge saving using them...

JStheoriginal

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Justin
they seem to sell for ~30GBP, which is not that much cheaper thatn $50USD for OEM batteries. Doesn't seem like you making a huge saving using them...

I thought I was crazy cuz I arrived at that same conclusion.

Latest threads

Top Bottom