1 or 2 steps up from Oly kit lense : 14-42 II

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Adobres, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Adobres

Adobres Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2011
    Hello all! Just wondering what you would recommend for a better lense than the kit lens that came with my epm1. The 14-42 II

throw a heap of different ones at me. looking for a lense faster than 3.5-5.6 which I believe this lens is. But with a similar focal length, and zoom. Thanks so much!

Adam.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You won't get faster with zoom unless you adapt a Four-Thirds lens. The Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II would fit your criteria. It is significantly faster, sharper, and very compact (for its specs). It will not AF as quickly as your 14-42mm II, however. You do want to get the Mark II version of this lens as opposed to the original version, as the Mark II version is CDAF optimized to focus faster on your PEN camera, even if it's still nowhere near as fast as native lenses.

Otherwise, if you want to stick with native lenses and want to go faster, you have to drop the zoom. Get a couple prime lenses like the Lumix 14mm f/2.5 or m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 for the wide end, and an m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 or Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit for the long end, and you'll have the entire range of your kit zoom covered in two much faster and sharper prime lenses.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The problem is that there are no faster m4/3 zooms. It's rather annoying.

One option is to get a 4/3 lens, and put it on the adapter. The best of that bunch is the Olympus 14-54II f/2.8-3.5. But at that point you've got something that's fairly large and clunky, and focuses slowly.

This why most folks looking for faster or better options than the kit go for primes. The 20/1.7 and 45/1.8 are among the favorites. At the wide end, the options are less interesting - the Olympus 17/2.8 is pretty mediocre, the Panasonic 14/2.5 is okay but not optically better than the kit lens, and the Olympus 12/2 is $800.

But if you want a better quality zoom with a faster aperture and similar range that works as well as the kit in terms of AF and whatnot, you're out of luck.

DH

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Primes is the option currently. 20/1.7 is a great next-step/all-rounder.

5. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    Panasonic is rumored to have a fast zoom lens 12-30mm? in the works. I'm patiently waiting for that at the moment...

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Take my advice and don't wait on lenses that don't exist... At least wait until an official announcement before you base your purchase decisions off it! Rumors are nothing but speculation.

7. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They're not rumors. Panasonic themselves have said they they will be producing a fast 12-35mm.

What they haven't indicated is when it will be released, and how fast it will in fact be.

DH

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That is true. They did say it would be "bright".

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Slight paraphrase of Panasonic's announcement.
    "We're workin' on a nice lens. Yep, it's gonna be 12-35, gonna be bright. That's right! You know that's what you want. It's gonna be available someday. Probably soon, well soon-ish, probably..."

Can't shoot with it now. Don't know when we might be able to shoot with it. I'd rather get a lens I can use today and sell it later if something more appealing hits the market.

Panny 14/2.5, 20/1.7 and Oly 45/1.8. Pick two, or all three, on the used market if possible. The 20 and 45 will cost the price of a high quality zoom that doesn't yet exist on m4/3. Use your kit lens at it's wide end.

Fred

10. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I don't disagree. Merely pointing out that the 12-35 is not a rumor, not in the way the Olympus m4/3 12-60 was.

I'll second that suggestion. The kit lens is actually fairly decent at the wide end. It's weak at the long end, so the 45/1.8 is very handy, and the 20/1.7 is a good slightly-wide normal. Those 2 cost less than a 14-54II + adapter would, and the IQ is a good bit better too.

Still, it does take some adjusting to go from a zoom to playing musical chairs with primes.

DH