1.8 Tb and I'm out of space

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
My Win 10 HD is almost out of space (as well as my NAS4free 1.8 Tb for backup). Should I just add another disk or should I start deleting photos? Maybe 30k photos, so it won't be a quick and easy task. Anyvody else run into this and can offer suggestions?

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Danny
Sony NEX-7 images at 24meg a shot, the rest are m4/3 shots.

30,799 RAW shots at 394 GB

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So I'm not sure how many you have and a lot of mine are 24 meg shots.

Danny.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
I'll have to look in it. I use Google's silver Efex and such which save to tif. Not a whole lot of video, but that adds up quick too.

LR won't have a hissy fit splitting photos over a second disk?

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
30,000 photos!
OMG....
Thin your collection out I say.
At least, export all your average pics somewhere with a reduced resolution...
Man, I am brutal with the delete button.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I'll have to look in it. I use Google's silver Efex and such which save to tif. Not a whole lot of video, but that adds up quick too.

LR won't have a hissy fit splitting photos over a second disk?
TIFF are humongous. A 16MP RAW is 14-20 MB, a TIFF that size can be well over 100 MB.

My suggestion is to separate the catalogue by year. There's not a huge amount to be gained by having everything in one catalogue...

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
0.55 TB here. Alongside raid1 backups, my digital negatives are weighing me 1.5 TB, and I have only shot raw for 18 months!

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I'm with the others, get more storage. I usually create a new catalog each calendar year, which makes it easy to offload images to other drives if I need. Lightroom is happy to look for images wherever you tell it to, over multiple drives. Even if you move entire directories to a different drive (say, all of 2018's photos), you can tell lightroom where to find those files next time you open it.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I am going to suggest spending more money and buy two drives at least one being external and get an off site back up such as Backblaze or Amazon Prime. The last thing you want is a drive going to pot and losing all your photographs and off site incase of a house flood etc.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And to that I would add, what is your time worth? If you did not delete them the first time, how long will it take you to cull through them and delete the clunkers now?

--Ken
I agree completely. It makes sense to delete some, but way easier to purchase more storage. I've given up on trying to sort through the old stuff. Focus is on discipline going forward so as to not compound the issue.

walter_j

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Walter
Its tiff files that are eating disk space. Each is 116 mb, and many photos have multiple versions of tiff files.I'll be more aware when I use silver efex, define, sharpener and others. Some pics have over a gig of tiffs.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
TIFF are humongous. A 16MP RAW is 14-20 MB, a TIFF that size can be well over 100 MB.

My suggestion is to separate the catalogue by year. There's not a huge amount to be gained by having everything in one catalogue...
Actually, in LR there is a lot to be gained with a single catalog, especially if one is searching for images. 30k images is not a lot for LR, and the size of the files is not really relevant for general database functions since the files only register in LR when imported. Multiple catalogs can make sense if the subjects or needs are quite discrete, like personal vs. work, or completely one-off areas from your normal work (e.g. regular volunteering photo services for an organization over years). And yes, there are other reasons for separate catalogs, but file sizes or numbers of images are not IMHO.

Good luck,

--Ken

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not to be rude, but what do you need all those photos for? Might be time to go through them and think about which ones are worth keeping/deleting. And unless you plan to edit the photos, why not store them as jpeg? Just IMHO.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom