1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

1.2 Bokeh Panoramas :-)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by jbuch84, May 22, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Canon FL 55mm f 1.2
    (images are 25-40 stitched together each)

[​IMG]
    f 1.2

[​IMG]
    f 1.2

[​IMG]
    f 2.8

• Like Like x 22
  2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    these are awesome! thank you! more like bokehramas!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Thanks! Added one more in the original post, it's insane how large these images are.. several hundred megs each until resized :) 

4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    hrmmm....

so.....

I'm trying to figure out what you've actually done here.

So the wooden bench as an example, looks like roughtly a 1.5 to 2 metre long bench. It's 25-40 pictures @ f1.2.

So my question is, what's the difference between that, and taking 1 picture at F 1.2?

I'm guessing you may have taken the picture at say 1 metre distance, where as to get the entire bench in 1 shot you would need maybe 7 metre distance. The result is the focus distance would be further, resulting in a deeper DOF, which means more will be in focus.

So if my assumptions are correct, then to achieve the same DOF at 7 metres from the item, you'd need a faster lens, say... maybe an F0.4

So, does this mean a close up panorama effectively simulates a really really fast lens at regular distance?

hrmmm interesting.

5. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    You got it, thats exactly what I did :)  What you end up with is a final image that can not be reproduced in one single shot. When cropped to proper framing it will leave you with a picture that looks more like a 35mm f .4 on a full frame sensor rather than something that was created with a 110mm equivalent at f 1.2
    Now if my lens wouldn't make such crazy bokeh!

• Like Like x 2
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Interesting, this sounds like a poor man's GigaPan. But instead of high apertures and panoramic scene shots, it's a giant bokeh-fest. :biggrin:

Nice shots!

• Like Like x 1
  7. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    You're right, just flip flopped! It's actually called the Brenizer Method. I read the article they posted last week and thought "I gotta try that!"

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I seriously love that shot of the green tree and leaves, could I *download a nice copy* of it from you?

• Like Like x 1
  9. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Of course ya can Kosta, it's big enough to make wallpaper out of :)  so any size you want really. Email me at james@fotoretro.com so we can figure out all the details

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Thanks for the reminder to try this "Brenizer method"....I remember seeing one of these types of shots a couple years ago and trying to put my eyeballs back in my head......soooooo cool. These are gorgeous examples....and I kinda think the funky bokeh your lens is drawing is pretty neat for these types of shots......very impressionistic....the middle one is my fave, but they're all great.

• Like Like x 1
  11. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Excellent. I like them a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Beautiful!

• Like Like x 1
  13. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    this method also is a way to "overcome" the limitations of our sensor crop size. As using a 55mm f1.2 lens will give the same depth of field whether it be on a full frame camera or a micro four thirds camera... but the crop means you can not capture the same image on a micro four thirds camera without moving further away or using a wider lens... both which create more depth of field and lose much bokeh. So you can snap a few pics and stitch them together to recreate the depth of field and framing you get with a full frame camera

14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    very nice!

15. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    Would love the last one in a wallpaper size (i.e. 2560x1440) — fantastic shot.

16. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I will whip something up for you after I get off work

• Like Like x 1
  17. Eon

Eon Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    Wow!
    I'm especially loving the bokeh in the benchpicture

18. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Excellent! Very absorbing images. I would love to explore some higher resolution versions. Any chance you can upload something that's like 10k pixels across maybe?

I will have to try this technique with the Panny 20mm.

What did you use to stitch? I've only ever tried the photo stitcher built into Photoshop.

19. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    It's a shame about the horrible bokeh on the first one, but the third one is very cool indeed....

20. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Great idea! The last one (the green) is truly awesome. Well seen!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.