1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

1.2 Bokeh Panoramas :-)

Discussion in 'Nature' started by jbuch84, May 22, 2011.

1. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Canon FL 55mm f 1.2
    (images are 25-40 stitched together each)

[​IMG]
    f 1.2

[​IMG]
    f 1.2

[​IMG]
    f 2.8

• Like Like x 22
  2. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    these are awesome! thank you! more like bokehramas!

• Like Like x 1
  3. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Thanks! Added one more in the original post, it's insane how large these images are.. several hundred megs each until resized :)

4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    hrmmm....

so.....

I'm trying to figure out what you've actually done here.

So the wooden bench as an example, looks like roughtly a 1.5 to 2 metre long bench. It's 25-40 pictures @ f1.2.

So my question is, what's the difference between that, and taking 1 picture at F 1.2?

I'm guessing you may have taken the picture at say 1 metre distance, where as to get the entire bench in 1 shot you would need maybe 7 metre distance. The result is the focus distance would be further, resulting in a deeper DOF, which means more will be in focus.

So if my assumptions are correct, then to achieve the same DOF at 7 metres from the item, you'd need a faster lens, say... maybe an F0.4

So, does this mean a close up panorama effectively simulates a really really fast lens at regular distance?

hrmmm interesting.

5. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    You got it, thats exactly what I did :) What you end up with is a final image that can not be reproduced in one single shot. When cropped to proper framing it will leave you with a picture that looks more like a 35mm f .4 on a full frame sensor rather than something that was created with a 110mm equivalent at f 1.2
    Now if my lens wouldn't make such crazy bokeh!

• Like Like x 2
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Interesting, this sounds like a poor man's GigaPan. But instead of high apertures and panoramic scene shots, it's a giant bokeh-fest. :biggrin:

Nice shots!

• Like Like x 1
  7. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    You're right, just flip flopped! It's actually called the Brenizer Method. I read the article they posted last week and thought "I gotta try that!"

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    I seriously love that shot of the green tree and leaves, could I *download a nice copy* of it from you?

• Like Like x 1
  9. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    Of course ya can Kosta, it's big enough to make wallpaper out of :) so any size you want really. Email me at james@fotoretro.com so we can figure out all the details

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Thanks for the reminder to try this "Brenizer method"....I remember seeing one of these types of shots a couple years ago and trying to put my eyeballs back in my head......soooooo cool. These are gorgeous examples....and I kinda think the funky bokeh your lens is drawing is pretty neat for these types of shots......very impressionistic....the middle one is my fave, but they're all great.

• Like Like x 1
  11. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Excellent. I like them a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Beautiful!

• Like Like x 1
  13. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    this method also is a way to "overcome" the limitations of our sensor crop size. As using a 55mm f1.2 lens will give the same depth of field whether it be on a full frame camera or a micro four thirds camera... but the crop means you can not capture the same image on a micro four thirds camera without moving further away or using a wider lens... both which create more depth of field and lose much bokeh. So you can snap a few pics and stitch them together to recreate the depth of field and framing you get with a full frame camera

14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    very nice!

15. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    Would love the last one in a wallpaper size (i.e. 2560x1440) — fantastic shot.

16. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    James
    I will whip something up for you after I get off work

• Like Like x 1
  17. Eon

Eon Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    Wow!
    I'm especially loving the bokeh in the benchpicture

18. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    Excellent! Very absorbing images. I would love to explore some higher resolution versions. Any chance you can upload something that's like 10k pixels across maybe?

I will have to try this technique with the Panny 20mm.

What did you use to stitch? I've only ever tried the photo stitcher built into Photoshop.

19. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    It's a shame about the horrible bokeh on the first one, but the third one is very cool indeed....

20. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Great idea! The last one (the green) is truly awesome. Well seen!