1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

$0 DIY shoulder rig in 10 minutes

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by owczi, Jun 9, 2014.

1. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM Subscribing Member

I did some ad hoc DIY today so I thought I might as well share it :) 

After my employer had been acquired, the facility I run (network kit test lab / R&D facility) is moving from Belfast to London and the team I manage is being disbanded. While I'm helping my guys tear down 50 cabinets of kit after it's been here for four years, I decided to record some of this work so that when I find the time to edit the footage in some ten years, we'll have something to bring back good memories. I'm using an Olympus E-M1 - the E-M5 and E-M1 are the only video capable cameras I've got that are not mobile phones.

I wanted a little more than shaky cam quality, so here came a problem - I don't have any video rigs, neither do I want to buy any. So first I taped my tripod to a wheeled board used for transporting equipment and used it as a dolly - this gave quite nice fluid motion. But then I needed to walk about with the camera to talk to people etc., so I needed to stabilise it a little. I needed a shoulder rig.

Well with leftover server bits and electrical bits and plenty of zip ties, making one was trivial - it took about ten minutes to make and it looks like this:

( also http://imgur.com/a/82Sc4#0 ).

Materials used:

Handle(s): HP server rack rail, hand bent :) 
    Arms: Dell server rack rails
    Counterweight: Ferrite core chokes (EMI filters) left over from some DC powered installation. Each is about 200 grams so I can add / take away in 400g increments.
    Extras: zip ties, orange tape is just for the looks, cage nuts (rack mounting screws) as counterweight stoppers.
    Head: My spare tripod head, Vanguard SBH-100, attached through a hole in the rail using a standard tripod screw.

Joints held together with zip ties but also nubs coming out of the rail slot into the handle so it's holding up pretty well.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    Hey . . . I've got a copyright on the plans for that exact configuration.

Zip-ties and all! :drinks:

dp

3. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Cool DIY, looks fun too :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.