$0.00 Kindle: Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by ksn, Mar 10, 2012.

1. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Good Find!

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the book and spent 15 minutes to speed scan the contents. It looks interesting; probably most beneficial to beginners. It covers a wide range of topics ranging from the basics of exposure to fairly advanced subjects. The book seems to be very how-to oriented and avoids deep theory examination. I can see a lot of value in this book for someone stepping up from a point and shoot or just learning how to use their camera outside of auto-mode. Nice find and thanks for sharing!

2. TonyNorthrup

TonyNorthrup New to Mu-43

Mar 10, 2012
    Thanks for checking the book out

Glad you guys found the book (I'm the author). Don't dismiss it as a beginner book after just a glance; there's a great deal more advanced detail in here than in any similar book. I'm a techie, and I usually write 600+ page programming and systems engineering books, so I'm not afraid to go into detail. With that said, my style is very practical, so I don't spend much time on theory.

I also do my best not to exclude beginners, and I have to err on the side of including more basic information, because we all have different experiences and I don't know what any given reader might have done.

Anyway, for the more advanced folks, check out the later chapters, and topics like "The Difference 5.9 Seconds Makes" in the night photography chapter. It's a book, so it's easy to skim over the stuff you already know to find the bits that are new to you.
    • Like Like x 14
  3. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Got the book as well. Thanks.

Great job by the way!!

Welcome to the forum.
  4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott

I knew that name was familiar! I have one or two of your other tomes at the office. I need to freshen some of my certifications.

Richard MSSM, CNE, MCSE, MCT, ETC.
  5. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks! Manage to dload onto my iPad kindle app.
  6. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Excellent, thanks for the heads up. Downloaded to Kindle reader on my 'droid tablet.
  7. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton

I didn't mean to sound as if your book is not worthy of more experienced photographers, but I understand how you might have felt that way. What I hope others will get about your book is that it seems to be a practical guide that covers a lot of ground. I think many photographers will find your style more approachable and see immediate results from reading your book. A lot of those same photographers will probably avoid a textbook style study of light and camera theory.

I ended up reading a bit of the underwater photography chapter and learned a lot in 10 minutes because you have managed such a fine balance between theory and application. I did not know about the use of diopters underwater. In that particular case, you covered what needed to be understood and provided adequate cause while avoiding expansive theory that would chase off novice underwater photographers.

Thank you for publishing this ebook and I am looking forward to a full reading.

8. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Is there anyway to downlaod if I dont have a kindle ?
  9. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010