“tethered” shooting is possible with the E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by old.swede, Jun 1, 2014.

1. old.swede

old.swede Mu-43 Rookie

I don't know if it has been mention elsewhere here, but there is a freeware software developed by Andreas Rebs.

I did find it yesterday while lurking in the German Oly forum.:

http://www.oly-forum.com/forum/kameras-objektive/wifiwlan-und-e-m1?page=3

post 77

I tried it quickly yesterday and all functions where working: Photo import, Live-import, Remote control and remote release.

For me most impressive was Live Import. Setting the em1 to RAW+s-jpeg and only have live import of the jpegs it's like in the old days with my Canon 5dm2 with usb cable to PC.

I tested as well with TheFolderSpy and XnView and I got an instant preview on the PC.

It's only in German.

Here comes the download link:

https://rebs.biz/files/CC-1.0.4-Setup.exe

• Like Like x 7
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Thanks. Worth checking out.

3. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    But still no way to get controls for camera and get photos to computer wirelessly?

4. old.swede

old.swede Mu-43 Rookie

Well, live import was using the em1 as usual (not locked in wifi mode), but getting the jpegs to the notebook screen after every click.

If you use small jpegs and only import them, it's rather fast. I keep the raws in the em1 for later import.

5. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Cool stuff - it's only a matter of time before more of those will come up - good to see that it's started. All you need is some traffic captures between the OIShare app and the camera. Once someone maps out the protocol, many alternative ways of controlling the camera will become possible - such as using Arduino - or Raspberry Pi for those preferring a more traditional approach. OK, it's possible today using the cable remote port, but with wifi you (will) have full control.

...and of course, a tether plugin for Lightroom may eventually come, officially or not.

6. old.swede

old.swede Mu-43 Rookie

In my simple test i did set up a folder monitor software, monitoring the import folder.
    If the software sees a new jpeg the setup will start xnview in preview mode.

Takes roughly 3-4 seconds before you get the small jpeg as preview on your full size screen.

7. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Wish so much Olympus would improve WiFi via firmware to allow disable remote controls so wifi function works background in camera and otherwise works like without wifi. Then allow any computer to connect camera wifi and read out memory card as is. The other mode would be like now, remote control what blocks controls from camera.

8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I started to reverse the OIShare app communication (part on http, most on udp) but it's not a quick task because the udp part is binary and filled the the live capture streaming. Anyway I stopped because the EM-10 "locks" the camera as soon as the wifi is started, but reading the thead looks like you can you shoot while the wifi is active. Do you know how to do it?

About the remote control: why would you need it? What's the difference in controlling the camera with a computer application rather then through the OIShare app?

9. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Usability. Larger screen than what smartphones or tables offer. Workflow anyways in studio around workstation/laptop so controlling camera with a mouse or keyboard is easier than usin tablet or laptop in many cases.

But tablet is better when on site or phone when needing to hold camera in other. Laptop would be worse unless shooting same location longer. I have seen someone to even bring iMac in forest or city street…. With a aggrigator.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think it would be a great boost to Oly if they released the technical details of the interface. That would likely spurn a whole industry of 3rd party apps which would enormously improve their brand (imho).

11. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I Agree. The possibilities to use OM-D in studio and on-site shooting where clients can see photos seconds after and they could be sent to editor in less than minute automatically.
    Event shooting would get totally different possibilities for OM-D when photos would appear almost realtime.

12. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

It's a pity it doesn't accept arbitrary SSIDs / DHCP and such, only link local I take it. Given the times we live in I wouldn't expect they would have developed a proprietary protocol for streaming so I would assume it's something like RTP / SIP, but sure, it may as well be the other case. I haven't spent much time on this yet, I would first need to put myself (i.e. laptop or PC) in the path of this traffic. It should be possible with two access points / routers and a switch in the middle. Or one access point doing multiple SSIDs. I have all the kit to do this. Well, or simply a jailbroken phone with a local traffic capture...

Where do I begin - battery life of the handheld device running the app? The possibility of using a dedicated h/w box like something Arduino based with plethora of sensors available? Proximity, passive IR or ultrasound for motion detection, edge switches or pressure sensors, etc. Full-blown tethering with Lightroom? With an external power source for the E-M1 and an Arduino box or Raspberry pi you can set up a high quality wildlife capture rig very easily - motion triggred shots. Or to keep uploading pictures or videos to some external location(s) and processing them / watermarking them / etc. Also outside the OIShare app - how about an app using the Luxi light meter and transmitting the meter readings to the camera - great way to do work in a studio setting. There are many more possible applications, another big one being "just because I can!" :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Yeah I can't wait until we get a more robust os on our cameras. I first thought that the solution would be android but it doesn't seem like that is the best solution. Being able to run apps or customize our cameras even further would be a great boon to M4/3. An app store could increase revenue, exposure and it really goes with the smarter, lighter, faster philosophy of the system,.

14. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Umm...you know you can do all of that with an eye-fi card, right?

15. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I did this setting the laptop wifi card in monitor mode (aircrack/airdecap). Then I discovered that there is an option in the wifi settings to allow multiple devices to connect to the camera wifi network so maybe you can get away with just wireshark but I did not try yet. Anyway, from a google translate of the german thread, it looks like this work has already been done by the german guy and that he is willing to share its findings with the due...confidentiality :)
    He already has a prototype with live streaming from the camera.

What I didn't understood is if he found a workaround for the "wifi screen lock" or if the EM-1 does not have this problem. old.swede can you please help my with the translation on this part on page three, starting with:

"Nachdem jetzt die neue Firmware 1.4 unter anderem auch einen Modus als Fernauslöser anbietet, habe ich mich mal näher mit dieser Funktion beschäftigt und heute ein wenig programmiert."

16. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Sure, but i dont want to use again a another card with its own limits.

The camera has hardware in it but needs a software to be more usable.

17. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Google translate to help if not others

The 1.4 firmware added possibility to have the remote trigger what he worked on that day... Or something like that...

18. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I think a workaround may be possible (E-M1 does work the same way by the way). This is based on 1.4 firmware where the new cable release mode was introduced, where all camera controls start working as normal, and the app displays an UI resembling the RM-UC1 cable release. It's the app that triggers the "unlocking" of the camera, so who knows, maybe it keeps accepting all the other commands while it's doing that. As soon as you switch back to live view / control, the white screen pops up again and controls are gone.

He says that 1.4 among others brings the remote cable release mode and he's been taking a closer look at it and programmed a little. My German is a little bit rusty though.

Best thing to do is to get that guy over here :)

Edit: having briefly read through the German forum I couldn't see any new revelations, mostly people thanking andy72, sharing opinions / experiences and tips to do with setting up your PC's network so that the camera doesn't take over DNS and so on.

• Like Like x 1