‘Olympus Has Not Fallen’ AP Interview Mark Thackara Marketing Olympus UK

BushmanOrig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Siegfried
I was sooo happy and excited to see the R6/R5 is now a reality, even happier to see the new long-reach lenses... 45MP all in full-frame, so awesome!!! And that 600mm F11 lens - did you guys see the price tag and all with IBIS (does all IBIS mean 7.5 stops)? I now never have to go buy the M43 300mm f4 PRO lens.... but then, my wife saw that extension thingy on the 600mm... and then she asked but Siegfried you expect me to pull that lens in and out for you and what about that F11 super slow aperture... is that not awfully slow? So I tried... I said to her but my love, keep in mind the experts over at Mu-43 sold me the idea that full-frame has 2 full stop advantage... that F11 mega slow thingy is absolutely nothing... we will just always carry huge lights with us... it's all full-frame now for you and me baby, I will buy you a new much bigger bag and all will be good...

Last night I slept alone, she was camping at the Olympus shop with a picture of the 75-300mm in her bag... why would she do that?

Can you experts pls help, she refuses to move... Any arguments for me... she now saw the EM1 III...

Last edited:

stevedo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
things are just too good to go sell now...
I'm confused. Which part of Olympus losing over $150m USD in a single year on their imaging business doesn't make sense to you. Also remember that this is not their only reported annual loss in recent years in the imaging business. It's clear that Olympus management vehemently disagree with your "things are just too good to sell now" statement. I'm sure they know waaaaaaay more about the business than you do.

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Must be hard to be a marketing person for a company that just announced it's actively trying to get out of the business.
Ya think. At least for that guy with 35 years under his belt, he may be in position to exit with some $ in his pocket unlike 1000s of others.

Mattie

Mu-43 Regular
Are we all "image quality" nuts ?

Thinking back most of my camera spending over the years has been "image quality" obsessed. Creeping around with a Leica M7 rangefinder using the best Chrome slide films and Sumilux lenses.

Along the way had a 5D Mk ii - tolerated the slow frame rate, poor feature set and heavy weight - for image quality.

The game changer was Fuji. Out of camera JPEG were excellent. Lovely colours and pictures that could print to A1 and look magnificent. All from a small and well made system.

That was the winning combination. Great technology, a full system with quality glass and well featured camera bodies. They were the guys to beat.

Had a few issues with them. The X-Pro2 would not focus properly but annoyingly the green focus square would still light up so you would think it had the focus. A couple of lenses - one got a huge spec of dust on the inside of the front element and another went kind of floppy - the zoom went kind of flacid and did not stick out when zoomed out - most peculiar.

The D810 appealed hugely, but the DSLR genre was loosing its appeal. Tiny little areas of focus in the middle of the viewfinder. Slow heavy noisy - no thanks, no longer worth it.

Considering how good mobile phone pictures have become it seemed obvious that even a m-43 sensor was going to be plenty good enough.

And so a return to Panasonic - the G9 (I had the G2 and thought that was awesome). Image quality, all the features you could ever want. Fast and decent lenses to go with it.

Last week bought an E-M1 Mkii to see how it goes. Great images so far very pleased with it. Might even use it more than the Panasonic G9

The irony is to have arrived at this point just as Olympus maybe nears its end.

Are we all "image quality" nuts ?

Thinking back most of my camera spending over the years has been "image quality" obsessed. Creeping around with a Leica M7 rangefinder using the best Chrome slide films and Sumilux lenses.

Along the way had a 5D Mk ii - tolerated the slow frame rate, poor feature set and heavy weight - for image quality.

The game changer was Fuji. Out of camera JPEG were excellent. Lovely colours and pictures that could print to A1 and look magnificent. All from a small and well made system.

That was the winning combination. Great technology, a full system with quality glass and well featured camera bodies. They were the guys to beat.

Had a few issues with them. The X-Pro2 would not focus properly but annoyingly the green focus square would still light up so you would think it had the focus. A couple of lenses - one got a huge spec of dust on the inside of the front element and another went kind of floppy - the zoom went kind of flacid and did not stick out when zoomed out - most peculiar.

The D810 appealed hugely, but the DSLR genre was loosing its appeal. Tiny little areas of focus in the middle of the viewfinder. Slow heavy noisy - no thanks, no longer worth it.

Considering how good mobile phone pictures have become it seemed obvious that even a m-43 sensor was going to be plenty good enough.

And so a return to Panasonic - the G9 (I had the G2 and thought that was awesome). Image quality, all the features you could ever want. Fast and decent lenses to go with it.

Last week bought an E-M1 Mkii to see how it goes. Great images so far very pleased with it. Might even use it more than the Panasonic G9

The irony is to have arrived at this point just as Olympus maybe nears its end.
Fuji had their JPEG formula in their SuperCCD compacts that was always top of the reviews and 1 stop faster on that “magic” 6 and 8mp sensor they crafted themselves.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom