µ4/3: The Real Kahuna

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by UnivTex34, Sep 22, 2011.

1. UnivTex34

UnivTex34 Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2011
    µ4/3: the Real Kahuna

Thought this was a good article, that has been saying what everyone here has been saying for a while, µ4/3 is the sweet spot...
    • Like Like x 2
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Love this quote

"...lots of photographers have taken a wait-and-see attitude towards mirrorless because the biggies hadn't signed on yet. Surely when Canon and Nikon came into mirrorless they would blow the little guys away with their...their...bigness.

Just like in the '70s in the U.S. auto market when imports were growing like crazy. All sorts of people were just waiting for things to get serious. For Detroit to enter the fray. What they turned out to be waiting for were the Pinto and the Vega."
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    And another, about how Nikon showed their hand (and found to be bluffing)

"Canon, for its part, must be a little like a guy who has been following another guy across a minefield—right after the first guy got blown up. Hmm, what's the next step now?"

This article is a good read!!!
  4. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    "Acolytes of bigness will not be swayed, I'm sure. They'll just say, serenely, sure, but wait till Canon comes. Just you wait.

Thing is, I'm not sure we have to do any more waiting. Yesterday seemed like a milestone to me. It was a couple of Nikons that arrived, I know that. But somehow it seemed like what really arrived was Micro 4/3."

Oh snap.
  5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    While I agree with the article, lets not forget what Nikon, technologically, brings to the plate. I'm really interested in the PDAF/CDAF system they are using.
  6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The announcement of the new Nikon's new cameras made me feel justified in thinking that m43 is the best compact system available.
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Might be the ultimate soccer mom/dad camera. Plenty fast to pick up anything junior can throw at them, but not overly concerned with IQ or artistic flair (shallow DOF, etc). I think it'll do fine and be a good setup for some. But probably won't make many inroads into the enthusiast market. Which I'm sure is fine with them - how big is the enthusiast market anyway?

Yeah, m43 is definitely the sweet spot for me...

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    It's not always the size of the market (in people) but in dollars spent per person, too.

I've spent FAR more money on photography gear (currently sitting on easily $3K in gear, but that doesn't count what I've moved over the last few years, and I think I'm small change to some -- anyone with an X100 or a CV 25 .095 is likely well past me) vs. my neighbor (who IS a soccer mom) who owns a Rebel XTi + 18-55 kit lens.
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    A very interesting article. I think it summed everything up very well.
  10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Funny you say that because I notice tons of entry level dslr's at school functions. When I'm out with my GF1 its the full frame users the tell me how they also have a M43/Nex for every day shooting, and it was my serious photographer friends that made me aware of the M43 format.
  11. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Not just a good article. Great article. Made me mentally say 'wow' several times while reading it. Read it. :2thumbs:
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm a hardcore Nikon guy for years, but I have to say as cool as the Nikon 1 is...the sweet spot right now is m43. Panasonic & Olympus better not piss away their lead though. I'd hate for an inferior mirrorless system...cough*NEX*cough...to take over. :biggrin:
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Does the Nikon 1 PDAF bring any benefit besides faster AF for existing adapted DX and FX lenses?
  14. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    He forgot the AMC Pacer. And that other AMC car that was smaller than the Pacer. Can't remember its name, but you know which one -- the one with the gas tank that blew up if a bicycle nudged your rear bumper.

:dash2: EDIT: Aha! Yes! Just remembered. It was the...... Gremlin! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: