1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

µ4/3 "tethered"? and LCD tilt

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by relic, Sep 14, 2011.

1. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    I have two questions if I may:

Can any of the µ4/3 cameras (old or new) be operated "tethered" to allow focusing, etc. to be done using the computer monitor?

Which µ4/3 cameras (old or new) have a tilting (not necessarily swivelling) LCD screen?

Many thanks!

2. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I wish that tethering was supported in one or indeed *any* M4/3 camera. Unfortunately, it is not.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Only the E-PL3 has a tilt screen on the Olympus side, and only the E-P3 has a touch screen. On the Panasonic side I think all of them except the GF series have tilt-swivel screens, and the G2, GH2, GF2, GF3, and G3 have the touch screens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I had no idea I could tether to lightroom.

Gonna play around with it.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm pretty sure it's only because Olympus doesn't offer tethering software with its cameras anymore, since they dropped that engine from Olympus Viewer 2, and Olympus Studio 2 (which had tethering) is now discontinued.

Adobe of course, in their infinite wisdom, seems to support mostly just Canon and Nikon.

6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    How do you get it to work? It wouldn't recognize either my E-510 or my E-PL1. What is the E-PL1s?

7. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    chuckgoolsbee, Ned, and drizek, many thanks for all your helpful and quick replies!

Ned and drizek, sorry, I'm not sure I understood: did you say I can or I might be able to tether to Lightroom? I don't have Lightroom, but if I can use it for this purpose it will be well worthwhile to get it.

Again, thank you all very much.

8. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I'm not sure how the confusion arose, but I'd be willing to bet $$ that LR only supports tethering with certain Canon, Nikon and maybe one Leica cam...

9. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    well, to be fair, that's where a good chunk of their market demands it. oly and panasonic shooters are minimal in numbers, and those that want tethering are probably even smaller.

If I were adobe, unless olympus and panasonic put some real effort forward, I'd probably put it on the back burner, too, honestly =/ However, as consumer... I definitely want it.

11. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    It doesn't take much to confuse me:confused: :smile:

I just downloaded a trial version of Studio 2 from the Olympus website, but it looks like it does not recognize the E-P1. I did send them email asking if it is possible to use the E-P1 tethered with Studio 2 if I bought the program, but I don't have much hope. Unlikely as it may be, if they do give a positive reply, I'll of course post to the forum.

Again, thanks all for your responses.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Studio 2 can't be bought anymore since it's discontinued, but if you email them for a registration code they will give it to you for free. Of course, since it was discontinued before the PENs were made, there probably won't be support for them even in the registered version. :(

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL1s is the predecessor to the E-PL2, which was released only in Japan. It basically took the E-PL1, took out the limitations (ie, like bringing back 1/4000th second shutter speed and remote control support) and included the new MSC kit zoom lens.

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'd love an android tether app. I'm not holding my breath.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Now that the Olympus PEN has Bluetooth (since the E-PL2 and newer) that's a very real possibility, along with many other options.

16. relic

relic Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 21, 2010
    I just got the reply from Olympus: currently Pen cameras do not support camera control; not aware of any plans to add camera controls to future Pen models.

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses.