Trying HDR (just learning)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by sLorenzi, Dec 29, 2010.

1. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sidinei
    I took this other day using bracketing on my G1 (seven shots, just use three of them), and would like to know what you think avbout it.
    I'd appreciate any C&C.
    Advertisement

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/slorenzi/5301343328/" title="Lunch Time por sLorenzi, no Flickr">[​IMG]"767" height="1024" alt="Lunch Time" /></a>

Thanks for looking at it.
    Best Regards

Sidinei

• Like Like x 2
  2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

it looks flared

• Like Like x 2
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 All-Pro

Luke
    Quite good. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any true blacks.

• Like Like x 2
  4. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Lois
    A bit flat, but maybe it’s the place. Not as flashy as the more processed HDR pics, but like it. The even brightness of everything is kind of inviting to explore every details of the picture like searching for anything hidden in it. :)
    Just that, I guess I’m expecting darker sky outside from the shorter exposures shot.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

I'm in a similar place, i.e. I've recently started playing around with HDR and Photomatix. I was impressed with the capabilities, and also intrigued by the fact that images can be processed in a very overt manner, which makes them obviously "HDR", or more subtly, preserving tonal range and clarity without the "special effect" often associated with HDR.

I did notice that the processing tends to reduce contrast in the mids quite a bit, and it often has to be added back afterward. That looks to be what you have here, but it's all a matter of personal preference and what look appeals to you. I assume this image reflects your decisions in editing.

Heck of a lot of fun, isn't it?

• Like Like x 2
  6. sLorenzi

Sidinei
    Believe you're right. I was so worried with loss of detail is shadows that I don't give it the necessary contrast. For me it's the hardest part of HDR, the balance between recover detail and correct tone curve.

Thanks for answer.:2thumbs:

7. sLorenzi

Sidinei
    I don't understand what you mean with your reply, please could you explain? Thanks

8. sLorenzi

Sidinei
    Thanks for the nice reply :thumbup:

It's was the worst of the image for me. I took it at noon, and the restaurant was surrounded by swimming pools, so the light was terribly harsh outside, and even the -2 exposure couldn't bring all the detail outside. Perhaps I should have take another one metering to that light...

9. sLorenzi

Sidinei

The very first HDRs I made were s you said, or even worse, almost cartoon like, and I really didn't like them. This is one of the better I could get so far.
    About the contrast, I agree with you, and I tweaked the curves a little, but I was so afraid of detail lost, that I believe I didn't do it enough.
    HDR is a very fun and a very useful tool and I believe there is no camera capable of manage with some extreme contrasty situations, like that one where, inside a dim light and trough the windows and doors a a bright midday sun.

10. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

the right side of the shot looks flat - no real blacks. almost like lens flare.

I had the same problem when I first started playing around with photomatix.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I'd be happy to assist

I do a lot of HDR work. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. What software are you using? What camera?

Check out my Flickr Page for some of my most recent work.
    Happy New Year - to all!

• Like Like x 2
  12. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Was wondering if anyone else is still not convinced they even like HDR? Would Ansel Adams like HDR? One of the things I liked about his images was the black blacks and the fact that there is often no shadow detail and that is what simplifies the image and makes it a classic. I really like an image that goes from pure black to pure white with neat stuff in between, especially with color. Shouldn't they call HDR "LDR" for low dynamic range, since you are really making everything more the same? I agree that it is entirely a matter of what you like.

13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman Subscribing Member

HDR is spawn of the devil....have yet to see any HDR image that impresses me.

i fully understand what the aim of HDR is... but as it doesn't relate in anyway to why i take photos.

Its an interesting technology... but a useless cul de sac in the pursuit of the better photograph which to me is more about the content than the quality

in this particular instance its a pretty mundane/very uninteresting image that is not enhanced at all by HDR

just my thoughts... no personal offense meant

K

• Like Like x 2
  14. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Wow Kevin - you don't mince words, and I must agree with you at this point. I took a look at a number of the images in your gallery and concluded that in fact HDR would ruin them. The silhouetted areas, the dark moody images would not benefit at all from seeing everything evenly lighted. Too much shadow detail can take away much of the mystery in a photograph and to my mind clutters up the image with too much information.

15. kevinparis

mincing words is never my strong point... i call things as I see them... fully understand that others may have different opinions/viewpoints/goals or aesthetics and fully respect these

the benefits of forums like this is to share experiences, knowledge and opinions

in the world of photo forums there is often an emphasis too much on the equipment or the the technique and less on the actual final image....the cool thing here is that balance is just about right

K

16. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

If HDR is used sparingly, and under the right conditions it can really enhance the photo. In large areas where it would be difficult to use a flash, it allows you to capture the natural dynamic range which a single photo can't reproduce.

I find church interiors are great HDR subjects. Here's one example.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/3883417902/" title="Panorama Basilica Cathedral by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="550" alt="Panorama Basilica Cathedral" /></a>

• Like Like x 6
  17. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Photog Scott Bourne at photofocus.com had a blog post in the recent past about HDR...

I’m No Trey Ratcliff But Here’s My Basic HDR Primer « Photofocus

The post is a basic primer on HDR, but his last paragraph contains his subjective views on HDR. I personally think that it can be effective if not overdone, but do I do believe Scott Bourne's observations are probably valid and HDR is not going away especially as it now appearing as a built-in option in some of the newer cameras now hitting the market. The referenced paragraph is...

HDR is a controversial subject in the photo community. Just as the jump from B&W to color was controversial; Just as the jump from film to digital was controversial; Just as the use of filters and plugins was controversial; So is HDR – but note I said IN THE PHOTO COMMUNITY. Outside the photo community, there is no controversy. People LOVE looking at HDR photos. So if you think you’d like to try your hand at it, don’t be put off by the controversy. Go for it and have fun. HDR is a great way to retune your eye and your photography.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Luke

Luke Mu-43 All-Pro

Luke
    Anyone who has looked at Wasabi Bob's HDR photos and doesn't feel like HDR has a place in photography is not using their eyes (and possibly their brain, too), but that's just my opinion ;)

Gorgeous work, Bob!

19. kevinparis

Luke.... we are all entitled to our opinions... but the implication that someone who disagrees with your opinions is wrong isn't really very polite or helpful

peace

K

20. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Yeah Kevin I remember what you said about my attempt at HDR. LOL.
    Unfortunately ever since, I've lost wanting to have another go. Can you encourage me mate to go out and try another HDR. Please Kevin:rolleyes:
    BTW, Cheers for a new year! (my part of the world is anyway)